System32/Config folder and WinSxs folder taking up space - how to save space in C:\ drive?

Hi Everyone, Am using Windows 8 Edition, 

Its been more than 6 months since i have started using it. Recently i have noticed that my 75 GB C drive is in Lack of space and dying in Red. 

I have searched all over Internet if i can find some help for it. But nothing helped me, my final drop is here... If the System 32 folder itself takes up 37 GB of space what else i do have to use. Especially that System32/Config folder, I am really pi"""ed of it. 

Is there anyway i can get rid of it ? Is it is really needed to make the Windows function...

So do the WinSxs folder !

Can some one please help me with this ?

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed information.

The Winsxs folder, stores multiple copies of dll‘s in order to let multiple applications run in Windows without any compatibility problem. If you browse inside, you will see what look like a lot of duplicate dlls, each having the same name. These are actually, different versions of the same files which are being stored; as different programs may require different versions.

Clean Up the WinSxS Folder.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn251565.aspx

System 32 is a directory on computers that runs Microsoft Windows Operating System. The folder contains important Windows system files, which when corrupted or damaged, impede optimal performance. Information inside the System 32 directory is changed every time an operator changes any Windows file or document.

Refer to these steps, these will help you to free up the space on your C drive.

Step 1: Delete files using Disk Cleanup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8

Step 2: Delete the temp files and check.

a. Press Windows and R keys together.

b. Type in %temp% and press enter.

c. Select all files and delete.

Step 3: I would suggest you to run the System Maintenance troubleshooter which would tell us about the reason behind the issue. Follow these steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter.

a. Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.

b. Select Troubleshooting.

c. Select View all on the top left corner.

d. Run System Maintenance trouble shooter.

Also refer to DavidRaber’s post replied on February 6, 2013 from the following link,

Windows 8 Pro - C:\Windows\System32 Keeps Growing.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/windows-8-pro-cwindowssystem32-keeps-growing/f5606bf5-df3f-4ed8-bfb5-939cc903a4dc?page=1&tm=1406956871212

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2024 Views 20,352 Applies to: