SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED AtihdW86.sys Windows 8.1 won't boot, refresh, etc.

Any way to "unlock" my C: drive so I can repair this system file from original media and get my HP with Windows 8.1 rebooted, restored refreshed, anything except this endless loop?

Hi Dennis,

I would appreciate if you provide the following details. 

1) What makes you to refresh your computer?

2) What is the model of your computer?

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED AtihdW86.sys could be because of corrupt audio and graphics driver. Therefore I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting methods given in the link below. You need the Windows 8 installation media.

Windows 8 Safe Mode

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03439317

After you successfully boot to desktop, then I would suggest you to follow the steps given below to disable the Audio and Graphics drivers.

a)    Press Windows Key + X Key, Click on the option Device Manager.

b)    Right Click on the Display Adapter and Select the option Disable.

Follow the same step for Sound audio and game controller and disable the driver. After disabling the drivers you need to restart your computer and remove the disk to boot normally. Click on the link given below to install the latest driver form the link below.

HP Drivers & Downloads

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

If you get Windows 8 drivers then fine or else you have to install the drivers of previous version of Windows in compatibility mode. Follow the steps given below.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows   

Write to us with the status of the issue. We will assist you ahead.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi I have the same problem with my windows 8.1 in my dell xps 17... It didn't have this problem before I just take notes on class but suddenly it keeps on crashing whenever I log in (only when I log in regardless of the user)... I tried to refresh, then I tried to do a fresh clean install and it still shows the same results... it never happened before only recently...

Note: I installed all the drivers including the graphics drivers again and again from the manufacturers website and no results...

It shows "system thread exception not handled" sometimes and other times it does a "not less than or equal to" crash error. It is weird...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2020 Views 3,113 Applies to: