Synaptics Touchpad Scrolling Stopped Working After Windows 10 Upgrade

I have an HP Envy laptop with a Synaptics touchpad. I just upgraded to Windows 10, and the scroll feature stopped working. I downloaded the drivers and turned the scroll back on, but every time shutdown, and turned back on or rebooted, it turns the scroll off again.

Seems like it's not saving the options after they are applied when the system shuts down.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2019 Views 2,917 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this. Kindly follow the below given methods:

This issue may be caused by automatic update of the touchpad drivers every time done when PC restarts. When PC try auto update, it changes the settings that are saved.

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the touchpad drivers and check if issue is resolved. Kindly follow the below given steps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
  • In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
  • Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
  • In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package   installed earlier to be deleted.
  • In the Action menu of Device  anager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause  the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close  all windows and restart the computer.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I rolled back the driver and all is good now

Sorry this didn't help.

Where is the touchpad device under? Which section?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had tried that, the problem remained. it doesn't save the settings after you turn the scroll bar back on. the touchpad works after it's turned back on, but resets to default of NO scroll every startup. 

I did try rolling back the driver but that didn't work either. in fact it removed the option altogether for allowing me to turn the scroll bar back on. It took me some time to get the new driver installed. (and several restarts)

the problem seems to be with it saving settings on shutdown, or maybe it likes resetting to defaults on startup for the driver.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mice and other pointing devices.

Hope that helps :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried this several times. Has not worked.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

Please visit the manufacturer's website and install the drivers in compatibility mode.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately the manufacturer of my computer points the fingers at Microsoft and says to get the drivers from you using Windows 10 update. You would think that this would have been resolved prior to launch since the Synaptics touchpad is pretty common and everyone that has one is complaining about this issue.

It would be nice to know how you go about installing drivers in compatibility mode, but I can pretty much guarantee until MS decides to fixes the issue, my touchpad is useless for scrolling. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10. Not to worry. We're here to help you out. Appreciate the steps that you have taken so far to fix this issue.

I suggest that you download and install the Windows 7/8 drivers for the Touchpad from the manufacturer's website using compatibility mode as mentioned in the following article and check:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance regarding this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I have already tried that, and pretty much every suggestion on this topic and there are two glaring issues with the Synaptics touchpad since upgrading to Win10;

1. Cannot use the scroll feature

2. The system does not keep track of the on/off state of the touchpad upon reboot

More detail on #1: The system completely ignores the scrolling function even tho the driver in the Device Manager shows that the scroll function is available AND the driver recognizes the area of function, the OS does not recognize the touchpad area, therefore you cannot one finger scroll OR two-finger scroll. This issue alone makes the touchpad unusable.

On the subject of #2: No matter what state my touchpad is in; When you reboot/restart/shutdown the system, the system always starts with the touchpad enabled. It never did this under Windows 7. Ever. 

On my computer, you can turn it on or off and I want it off now since issue #1 makes it unusable to me.

I have seen numerous threads with this issue. The hardware AND the driver are recognizing the device and it's ability to scroll - yet, Win10 does not. 

Thanks for listening.

Sorry this didn't help.