Switching between Chinese simplified and traditional character sets

I have a need to quickly switch between traditional and simplified Chinese in the same document. This has been a major source of frustration ever since upgrading. Is there any way to do this without opening up the language settings control panel in Windows 8? Previous versions of Windows (7, XP) had a method to change the char set within the language bar.

Is this question in the right topic? I do not see any option relating to languages.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Windows 8 also has a feature to change language using shortcut keys which is easier for the users.

While using any program you will be able to change the language to the preferred language if it is added on the computer.

The shortcut key to change the language is Windows key + Space bar.

You may refer to the links which will be helpful.

Personalize your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/language#1TC=t1

Input method editors (IMEs)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/input-method-editors-windows-8

Language packs

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/language-packs#lptabs=win8

Please get back to us and let us know if this information was helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Changing languages is not what I am after. I have to use the Simplified Chinese language as the input method I am using is Microsoft Pinyin, which is only available under Simplified Chinese, however under Simplified Chinese, there is the option to change character set to Traditional Chinese. 

Thus I am using the Simplified Chinese language setting with Microsoft Pinyin input method to write Traditional Chinese characters. I'd like to know if there is any way to quickly change the character set of a language without opening the control panel.

I am aware that it is possible to change languages quickly, but that does not help, as I cannot add a duplicate of the same language (Simplified Chinese) using a different character set, even playing around with the sublanguage settings. If I could add a second Simplified Chinese language to the language bar, I could set one to use the Simplified characters and the other to Traditional characters, achieving my goal of retaining the Microsoft Pinyin input method and being able to switch quickly between character sets.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, due to the nature of my work, I faced the same problem on my Windows 8 computer too. To give the technicians a better view of this problem, I "print-screened" the language bar of my Windows 7 laptop.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/jonathan_ong/Windows/Untitled.jpg
("写字" and "寫字" are Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese version of "Write" respectively.)

As you can see, I can easily switch between Simplified and Traditional Chinese on my Windows 7 laptop. However, this is not easily done in Windows 8 and I have to go to the control panel to change the settings each time I need to switch between the languages (which involves a lot of steps). This is really inconvenient as we may need to type Simplified and Traditional Chinese characters in a document simultaneously. We would be really grateful if anyone has a solution to this problem in Windows 8! Thanks!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, due to the nature of my work, I faced the same problem on my Windows 8 computer too. To give the technicians a better view of this problem, I "print-screened" the language bar of my Windows 7 laptop.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/jonathan_ong/Windows/Untitled.jpg
("写字" and "寫字" are Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese version of "Write" respectively.)

As you can see, I can easily switch between Simplified and Traditional Chinese on my Windows 7 laptop. However, this is not easily done in Windows 8 and I have to go to the control panel to change the settings each time I need to switch between the languages (which involves a lot of steps). This is really inconvenient as we may need to type Simplified and Traditional Chinese characters in a document simultaneously. We would be really grateful if anyone has a solution to this problem in Windows 8! Thanks!
MS Help, please help us solve this. This is EXTREMELY annoying when a user can't switch between traditional and simplified Chinese while typing. Going into the menu and changing it (through clicking different bubble) is not the right user interface. Please make these changes as this is quintessential Chinese typing feature across China/Taiwan/Hong Kong. Thank you. 

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, agreed, Microsoft must address this issue.  Please let me know if you have discovered a way to quickly switch between traditional and simplified character sets.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So what is the solution now?  I have the same problem too.  I need to change traditional Chinese to simplified Chinese frequently.  Mine is a Home version Office 360, is there a feature for us to do so?  Please advise asap

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Niyamath, do you even understand the difference here?

Our request is not about switch input method, but using the same input method to input the characters in two different format!

This is a REAL problem, yet MS seems don't understand it, or not trying to address it at all.

Not be able to quickly switch character formats (while at the same time using preferred the same input method) is very frustrating.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

windows 10 need few step to access  to this 

windows 7 just need a simple click

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

NgThiam Seng
 - this does not solve the issue.  To switch from Simplified to Traditional, I have to select the language setting, select the langue, select the option and change to tradition.  the next sentence I need to be back in traditional char,I have to do the same.

Windows 10 took away the option to select Simplified or Traditional Chinese on the.  

another restriction is I only use Pinyin for both traditional and simplfied chinese.  

Please help resolve this.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Switching between traditional and simplified characters was (and still is) relatively easy to do with Windows 7. Is there someone at Microsoft WHO USES CHINESE LANGUAGE INPUT DAILY that can address this question? If you don't read, write, and use Chinese characters on Windows 8 or above on a daily basis, please do not bother to respond to this question. Thank you. 谢谢你。

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2024 Views 18,761 Applies to: