Switch users at login screen not working, Please help!

I have windows 10 device, but I forgot its password. For some reason, I can't even switch the user. Every time I reboot it, it just displays the password screen. I've also read a lot of other sources, but all of their solutions can only be done after I have logged in. Is there a way to switch users to admin or other users without logging in at all? 

Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

I have compiled some steps below that may help you to be able to log in again to your computer. Kindly perform them in sequence. My apologies for the long response.

NOTE: If one of the methods below will be able to help you access your Windows desktop again, I suggest that you create a backup of all your important files.

Method 1: Please watch and make sure to follow the steps carefully in this video tutorial, let's see if this would work in your favor. Many users have been helped by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW00gdvSYoU

Continue below if the issues still occur. For the next few methods, we need to boot to Advanced Recovery Mode. Here are some ways on how to access the advanced recovery environment:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-advanced...

or you can try below:

a. Power on and off your computer three times.
b. On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment
c. You will know when you are in the Windows Recovery Environment if you see a blue Choose an Option screen or a blue Troubleshoot screen.

Now once you are in the Recovery Environment screen, proceed to the next methods.

Method 2: Enable Built-in Admin Account for Windows. It may not work if you have Windows 10 Home, but please give it a try.

1. Click Advanced Options
2. Click Troubleshoot
3. Click Advanced Options
4. Select the Command Prompt option to troubleshoot windows.
5. In command prompt type: net user administrator /active:yes
6. Press “Enter“. Restart then you will have a basic administrative account to use with no password

Method 3: If the above steps did not work, please try the steps below on how to manually create a new admin account without Logging in

1. Go Back to the Recovery Environment screen select Command Prompt

2. When you see a Command Prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command.

copy d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe d:\
copy /y d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe

4. Once that's finished, restart the computer

5. After you see the logon screen, press the SHIFT key five times. The Command Prompt should open and you can run the following commands to create a new admin account.

Type the following commands and press Enter after each command. Make sure to replace the value of {user_name}.

net user {user_name} /add
(Ex. net user joe /add)

net localgroup administrators {user_name} /add
(Ex. net localgroup administrators joe /add)

6. Reboot and you can then log in to your Windows computer with the new admin account.

NOTE: Once you are back to your desktop, you can also create a new admin account or grant an account administrator rights if needed.

See the article below:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402692...

If you find the suggestions to have worked for you, please mark it as helpful. Feedback definitely helps us all. Let's hope for the best. Stay safe.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2024 Views 7,029 Applies to: