Surface Pro 2 can't refresh or reformat

Hoping someone can help.  I have a surface pro 2 that was running just fine, until the most recent windows update.

The update seemed to install fine.  Upon restarting (which took forever) the audio no longer works.  When I run the diagnostics it says something hasn't started and it's unable to fix it.

Attempted to open the control panel, windows explorer froze up, only way to fix is to restart via the task manager.

Figured something was wrong with the operating system so I decided to back up my files.  Any time I opened two windows explorer windows the machine froze up and I again had to restart windows explorer via task manager.

Finally was able to back up my files by copying the folders, navigating to my back up and pasting.  Inconvenient but no big deal.

Decided to try to restart, and this is where the real trouble started.  Machine started to shut down, got stuck on the "restarting" screen, for hours, manually shut it down and rebooted after holding the volume up button and power button for 15 seconds as referenced on other questions, then waiting 10 seconds to restart.  Was able to restart, but only after about 8 failed attempts where the screen stuck on a black screen for hours, or the machine booted up but when I tried to open an app the app said there was a problem opening, or when opening the desktop it was a blank screen in the highlight color but without any options, navigation, or icons.

Finally decided the only way to fix was either to refresh or restore.  Neither will work.

When I go to the "Update and Recovery" window it just spins and spins trying to load.  If I search "recovery" instead and click on either "refresh your pc without affecting your files" or "remove everything and reinstall Windows" it takes me to the correct screen, but either option just opens a tab that says "Preparing" with the spinning dots.  It sits there for hours on end but nothing happens.

Help, please.  How do I fix this if I can't get it to rewrite windows?  Thanks in advance!

Answer
Answer

Hello Stacy,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and I appreciate your efforts taken to resolve the issue.

This issue might occur if the Windows Update database is corrupted, third-party application conflict or driver corruption or virus infection. Let’s work together to get this problem resolved.

I would suggest you to login to any other computer and create a Windows 8.1 USB installation media. Using that USB you can perform the troubleshooting methods given below.

Refer the link to create the Windows 8.1 USB installation media.

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset

or

Create a USB recovery drive

After creating the Windows 8.1 USB installation media, I would suggest you to try the following methods:

Notes:

1. Disconnect all the external devices (if connected).

2. To boot the computer through Windows 8.1 USB installation media,the computer must be configured to start from the USB drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the USB drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

3. Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

Method 1:

Perform an Automatic Repair through bootable Windows 8.1 USB installation media.

To do so, follow the steps given below:

a. Insert the Windows 8.1 USB installation mediaand restart your Surface Pro.

b. After you boot your Surface Pro using Windows 8.1 USB installation media, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from disk". Press any key.

c. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

d. Click on Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

e. Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.

f. Click on Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

g. Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.

h. Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.

i. Windows 8.1 will then look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2:

If the automatic repair doesn’t work, then perform System Restore, please restore the computer to the date when the computer was working fine.

a. Boot the computer through Windows 8.1 USB installation media.

b. Click on Repair your computer.

c. Click on Troubleshoot and then select Advanced Options.

d. Select Restore and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the System Restore.

For more information, refer the link: Restore your PC to an earlier point in time

Note: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Additional information:

Windows 8.1, Windows 8 or Windows 7 hangs or freezes

Important Notes:

1. While scanning the hard drive if any bad sectors are found, the scanner tries to repair that sector, any data available on that might be lost.

2. Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2024 Views 213 Applies to: