Surface 3 (from 2015) Windows 10 setup/OOBE, how use AzureAD/M365 work account?

Device: Microsoft Surface 3

Issue: During the Windows-10-Setup, it declines my Microsoft 365 / AzureAD work account.

Details:

1. I go to "https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10" and download the "Create Windows 10 Installation Media" tool. I run it and it transforms my USB-flash-drive into a Windows-10-installer.

2. I power on the device and boot it into the USB (there is no OS on the main device hard drive).

3. I install Windows 10 onto the device (during this I also wipe the hard-drive just to be certain).

4. I power off the device, then I remove the USB.

5. I power on the device, and the Windows-10-Setup asks for my region (United States), keyboard layout (US), second keyboard layout (skip), accept the EULA, and connect to WiFi. (note that it doesn't ask for any Windows license key).

6. Then it shows a page titled "Let's add your account" and says "One account connects your device across Microsoft apps and services, like Office, OneDrive, Microsoft Edge, and the Microsoft Store.".

7. I enter my work email (as I do when I successfully setup Windows 11 devices without this issue), which is "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" (except instead of "example" it is my work's real domain).

8. It says "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one.".

I try clicking "Create account", enter the same work-email, but it says "You can't sign up here with a work or school email address. Use a personal email, such as Gmail or Yahoo!, or get a new Outlook email.".

I have tried using a non-work Microsoft account, which succeeds, but then in Windows it says it is Windows-10-Home and isn't activated (perhaps because the motherboard has a Windows-10-Pro key which isn't compatible with Home). Furthermore, in the settings I cannot add a Microsoft-365/AzureAD account as a new user (presumably because it thinks that it is Windows-10-Home rather than Pro).

But ideally I want to use my work account in the Windows-10-Setup.

Perhaps I need to re-install using a Windows-10-Pro ISO, but all of the tools just give a generic (non-pro non-home) ISO file / USB-flash-drive.

|

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 31 Applies to: