Suggestions for Fingerprint Scanners that do more than Windows Hello?

I just upgraded my Windows 7 Pro computer to Windows 10 Pro.  I was disappointed to find that my Digital Persona software and scanner no longer work with Windows 10.  I have searched far and wide on the Internet and asked stores if anyone makes a fingerprint scanner that works with Windows 10 AND also saves passwords for websites, encrypted documents, etc?

I have so many passwords for websites and somehow don't trust the web browser to maintain total security.  The Digital Persona software had 128bit encryption, so I could safely save banking passwords, and other sensitive material.

If anyone has one or can recommend a product, I would really be grateful.

TIA,

MIACLOCKMAN57

Hello miaclockman57, I’ll be helping you.
You could try this to get your fingerprint scanner working but it may only work for logging onto your pc.
Found here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...
If you were using that software with Windows 7 and upgraded your Windows 7 installation to Windows 10, the DigitalPersona Personal" software will not recognize that the device is hooked up to your system and (according to the installed devices list) is working properly. This appears to be because the Windows 10 upgrade installed device drivers for this hardware that was written by Microsoft not Digital Persona. to get it working again you will need to uninstall the DigitalPersona Personal software and the install the drivers for this hardware that was working for you under Windows 7. Reboot and then reinstall the DigitalPersona Personal software (version 4.00.3691). Reboot again and after you system loads back up you will need to open the DigitalPersona Personal software by double clicking on its icon in the running apps part of the taskbar and the re-registering your fingerprints.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Here are a couple third party fingerprint readers that are known to work with Windows 10:

Eikon Mini is an affordable fingerprint reader for any PC and Windows ...
https://www.windowscentral.com/review-eikon-min...

Hands On: BIO-key USB Fingerprint Readers for Windows Hello
http://www.itprotoday.com/hardware/hands-bio-ke...

If none of these options work for you, I recommend you go back to Windows 7.

How to Use The Rollback Function in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Earlier Versions of Windows 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First of all, I must apologize.  The software that was bundled with my fingerprint reader was "Protector Suite".  I attempted the first suggestion which was to install the drivers from the original CD instead of the Windows 10 drivers.  I got stuck in a never-ending wait at "installing drivers".  I crossed fingers because the only way to close it after waiting 15 minutes was to reboot the PC.  I had to uninstall and reinstall the fingerprint reader and allow Windows Update to reinstall the Win10 drivers.

Secondly, my desktop is NOT a branded PC.  It is a custom one that I built myself.  It has an ASUS 64-bit AMD motherboard with an AMD 6-core processor, SoundBlaster Audigy Sound card (use instead of the one with the MOBO because I have professional sequencing and sound editing software), NVidia Windows 10 compliant video card, 32MB on-board RAM, 1TB C:\ drive, and 2- 1TB each RAID 1 (mirrored) drives for redundant data, photos, etc.  I also have a WD My Cloud Mirror 6TB backup device for additional redundancy.  The upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro went all too smoothly - it was SCARY <LOL>.

Win10 DOES recognize the scanner and I can use it for Windows Hello to login to the computer.  However, I'm looking for software that's Win10 compliant that allows me to use the scanner to store website and application passwords into an encrypted locally stored vault like Protector Suite did with Windows 7.  I have so many different passwords (and complex ones, at that for security), that it's impossible to remember them all.  I don't trust MS Edge or MS IE to keep them safe.

I will check the links that you provided and give an update as to whether any worked with my scanner to do what I need it for.

Thank you,

MIACLOCKMAN57

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Miaclockman,

We've noticed that this thread has been idle for a while now.

Can you share with us if you're still experiencing the same issue with your fingerprint scanner? If yes, how did Time Lady's and Andre Da Costa's suggestions work for you?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is Miaclockman.  TIA means "thanks in advance" and I'm a male.   No, I haven't found a viable solution yet and am very frustrated because every store that I've contacted is reluctant to recommend anything for fear of having an irate customer.

I just need a software app that recognizes me Eikon fingerprint scanner (windows 10 recognizes it and it is working properly) and allows me to capture and save different website passwords using MS Edge and saves them in an encrypted "vault" locally on the computer (I'm not a fan of using cloud storage for something like this as these passwords include financial and sensitive information websites.

Thanks in advance,

MIACLOCKMAN

PS.  I am happy wit Windows 10 Pro (and also bought the retail version for $199), so I am not rolling back to Win7

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We understand what you need, Miacklockman. We really appreciate you sharing with us that you're a happy Windows 10 Pro customer.

However, Windows designed Windows Hello or the fingerprint log in only for user account log ins. The features you describe in a software app might be a third-party app.

However, you may submit your idea as a suggestion using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help us in determining the cause and to be able to address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please re-visit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

You can follow these steps in submitting a new feedback:

1. Search for Feedback Hub in the Cortana search field, then click the app.
  2. Click Feedback found at the upper-left part of the window, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Tick Problem, share any details you think are relevant, then choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
  5. Click Submit once you've completed the form and monitoring.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you have submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you have submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Let us know if you have other queries.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the tip.  I did submit a request to the feedback hub.  The more I use Windows 10 Pro, the more I like it.  It's just a shame that I have to recover dozens of passwords as I don't use the same password for everything.

If there are any other ideas out there, I would appreciate it.

thanks,

Jeff

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're very much welcome, Jeff.

We're very glad that you like Windows 10 Pro. Just keep your Windows updated for repairs on bugs and for more performance and design enhancements.

We're just a post away should you have further queries.

Best.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought that I would share this on the thread - I did a little research and though it won't work with my fingerprint reader on the desktop PC, "logmeonce" looks like a great password management software.  I'm going to try the free edition (which got rave reviews in several major computing magazines) and will report back how it works.

The beauty of it is that it will save passwords across all of your devices including tablets, phones, laptops, etc.

I'll give it a good two weeks and report back.  If successful, I'll close the thread.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Jeff S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2023 Views 1,167 Applies to: