Suddenly there's a strangers name on my windows login screen

All of a sudden someone else's name is showing when I restart my computer "Anna Charles" and I got a notice from PayPal that a different devise tried to access my account. If I do a restore and use the one that says do a complete clean, will my windows 10 still reload? It says to only use it if you don't plan on keeping the computer. I did a complete restore/reboot and had it save my personal files thinking that would give me a clean start but no luck, still shows her name. I just don't want my computer to not reload windows 10 by doing the most extreme restore option. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help. 
Hi,

You mean is shows that name on your Login Page?

It sounds like your Microsoft Account has been accessed by someone else. Have you allowed anyone else to access your computer - even remotely?

Microsoft Account Help -> see change password and help protect your Microsoft account and others.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/products/microsoft-account#duplicate=1

Also contact PayPal and change your password there. Do the same on banking and any other sensitive sites (such as credit cards) you might have.

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - past Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - 2021
Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply, I opted to reset windows 10 but used the option to save my personal files. It reinstalled windows 10 but the name was right there on the first sign in page. So right now that's where I was at until I tried to reply to your comment. I had forgotten my new Microsoft account password so I rest it. While doing this it came to a page where it shows what name you want to display and there was her name "Anna Charles" so I changed that to one of my names I use and then I continued on to reset my password. I haven't shut the computer down yet because I was in the middle of responding to your comment. Hopefully as I reboot my computer after this, it will now show my name. I hope anyway.

Thanks again,

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, 

unfortunatly it seems as though you are having a large issue right here. I must ask a few questions first though and it might help me uncover why this has happened and how you can sort it out!

Please answer with as much detail as possible if you cannot answer leave blank.

thanks in advance :)

1) Do you have a shared (family) microsoft account or is it a privatly owned account?

2) Have you ever given someone access to your account?

3) Have you downloaded malware or malicious software onto your computer by accident, or do you think you have any strange software that has appeared recently? 

If the person still has access to your account. I would highly recommend changing your password for your microsoft and bank details.

If you are facing anymore problems please feel free to contact me :D

4)

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One thing nobody mentions is after a windows 10 update, if you click on the same word 5 times, a hidden retail demo mode will put another name and state on the login screen.  If you use your password, good luck.  From then on the stranger becomes you.  However, the above steps fixed the problem for me.  A case of same irritant, different unseen road problem. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2024 Views 11,166 Applies to: