Suddenly "No (wireless) Networks Detected"

Hi guys,

So I was on my laptop this morning (have had it and used WiFi for over a year no problem) and suddenly lost my wireless connection. I'm running Windows 7 Home 64bit.  At any given time, there are always about 10 wireless connections available - my own and neighbours. Suddenly, none are being detected at all.

-I disabled Windows Firewall (only Firewall I have). This did nothing.

-I unplugged my modem and router and reconnected them, and restarted my laptop. No networks still.

-I checked for driver updates (everything was up-to-date).

-I can connect to my wifi network on my iPhone and on other computers in the house. So given that, and that all the other networks I normally see cannot be detected either, I believe the issue is with the computer itself.

-I also tried a system restore but it sits on the "initializing system restore" forever without actually doing anything.

-I can also connect to the internet on this laptop if I plug the ethernet cable directly into it.

Any ideas what's going on here? I've been searching through similar Threads all morning but have not been able to resolve the problem. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Answer
Answer
On my laptop I hit the following keys together: fn (function) + f8. This toggles wireless on/off. For some reason this worked whereas right clicking and disabling wireless manually did not. My friend suggested this as he had the same issue and it resolved it for him too.  Your laptop may use a different combination of fn + f_. No idea why this worked or if it will work for anyone else, but I tried everything else and this instantly solved the issue for me anyway...

65 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 25, 2024 Views 10,943 Applies to: