Stuck with the "Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." issue

I have now two occurrences of this problem and there seems to be no way to resolve it. I already checked all information on the Internet and did all troubleshooting and uninstall / install operations - nothing helped. But let me describe the issue:

1. With the Logitech Mouse M705: 

It suddenly stopped working and I noticed the "Device  was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match" in the USB Composite Device properties. I changed to another Logitech Mouse with another remote adapter and this worked for a while until it got the same issue. And so I changed to yet another mouse with a cable connection and this works as of now.

2, With an ASUS external display connected via HDMI

This happened last night while using the display. The display stopped working after using it for a couple of hours in the middle of a Karaoke party. I checked the event viewer and noticed that there was some automatic WIndows Update going on at the time it stopped working. I still can connect the device and Windows recognizes the device but nothing is displayed. And of course the "Generic PnP Monitor" device has this crazy "was not migrated" issue. When I open the "Advanced Display Settings" I can see both displays listed. As you might guess the mouse workaround by buying new mice would be too costly for displays.

Note that all my drivers are up to date including the Intel drivers and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, which is listed for the malfunctioning display.

The system is a Windows 10 Home Edition Version 1803.

Here the event for the display:

Device DISPLAY\ACI24FA\5&aaea2d5&1&UID4352 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: DISPLAY\LGD0590\4&223d200f&0&UID0

Class Guid: {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Location Path: 

Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFF0000F100

Present: false

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2019 Views 8,052 Applies to:

Hello DanielScholzCH,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how difficult it feels when the devices stop functioning as they are supposed to. Let’s try to narrow down the issue by following the below methods:

Method 1: Check for Updates.

Driver updates in Windows 10 are automatically installed along with Windows Updates. But you can go ahead and check if there is any new update available for that particular driver. You can go through the article on how to update drivers in Windows 10.

Method 2: Roll back driver.

If there are no new updates available for the driver, it shows that you have already installed the latest build of drivers. At that situation, you may roll back driver and check if the works. Sometimes rolling back to the previous build resolves the issue.  

Also, you may uninstall the device and driver package from device manager. To do that, you may go through the article on how devices and driver packages are uninstalled.

Method 3: BIOS Update.

The error which you are getting could also be due to problematic BIOS (Basic Input and Output System). Hence, you could update your BIOS to fix the issue.

BIOS Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mala ...

... these devices stop working while a "Windows Update" is running. The culprit is the Windows Update and the only possible way to get back to a clean system would apparently be to reinstall Windows 10 and then make sure that no Windows Update will ever run uncontrolled.

Who provides the drivers for the "USB Composite Device" and the "Generic PnP Montitor"? Microsoft? Ahhhh :-) ... and do I have a "rollback" option there? Oooops ... no Sir .... no chance ...

And please try to understand the really silly message. 

"Devce xyz was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Wow ... So there was a partial or ambiguous mismatch discovered by the Windows Update running in the background and the decision was to declare the device to stop functioning. And ironically these device drivers are from the very same company that proudly runs the Windows Update.

Now let me prove to you that I am right and that *WIndows Update" is confused and not any BIOS or other components.

1. The issue arises on a running system when a Windows Update is busy in the background. E.g. the external display was running fine for 5 hours until it suddenly stopped working. The only changing process running at the very time was "Windows Update". The same is true for the mice that I have lost.

2. The drivers for the devices still work "partially". E,g, the external display is still recognized correctly and the Logitech Utility still discovers the mouse. The pointers just don't move.  The monitor remains black. The devices are still working. The connections are still working.

3. The Device Manager does not flag the devices as faulty. You have to go into the events tab to see that there is something wrong. This is a Device Manager error by itself as it does not report the problem.

4. I have 2 "Generic PnP Montitor" entries - one for the Laptop display and one for the external ASUS display. Both are the same Microsoft drivers. But only the ASUS shows this partial ambiguity error. The same is true for the USB Composite Device. I have 2 USB ports and only when I attach the Logitech mouse then I get this issue. 

5. 2 and 4 prove that it can't be the provider drivers. They are still working but they are prevented to work correctly by these generic Microsoft drivers or better the device management which is confused by ambiguity. (btw. I uninstalled / installed those drivers just in case).

6. Can it be a BIOS problem? Could you believe that the BIOS would suddenly decide after 5 hours that it does not like the Asus monitor anymore? Or the Logitech mouse? Or the many other devices reported here by the community? That's not a BIOS problem.

I have 33 years experience in the IT industry and when I learned something about this type of problems then it is to acknowledge the facts and believe that the process running when an issue occurs is also the culprit. Just believe it.

There would be a nice quick fix for Windows - just ignore your ambiguous / partial decision and let the drivers do their work. Flag it in the device manager with a warning and so let the user decide if there is really an ambiguous situation that needs to be worked on.

And so Mala - please go back to development and open a problem record. After 3 years of reports of this issue this is something that your Windows users would deserve. 

Hope you can help.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Daniel & Microsoft Support,

You know what's funny?

I have the same "Device was not migrated..." issue, also with an ASUS secondary display.

Rocking an Nvidia GTX 1080 and Win 10 64bit.

Even funnier is the fact that my main primary display is exactly the same model as my secondary and surprisingly this device could be migrated successfully.

Also, the 'not migrated' secondary display continues to flicker a teeny tiny bit.

ASUS support just told me the brand new display must be broken. I'll probably now order a new one to see if that might fix the issue but I really doubt it.

And @Daniel:

I know that's kind of the obvious but...

Have you tried to install the latest driver for the displays? Based on ASUS that should change the label of the monitors from 'Generic PnP Monitor' to the 'ASUS Model XYZ' and fix the problem. But didn't work for me thou. Still showing the Generic label and adding the ASUS color profile won't work either.

And @Mala:

I really admire your try for support but your answer is only a "I already did that, that's why I am writing to Microsoft Support".

Please add this to your bug report if you didn't already. And say that this is an issue that you are currently working on.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mala ...

... these devices stop working while a "Windows Update" is running. The culprit is the Windows Update and the only possible way to get back to a clean system would apparently be to reinstall Windows 10 and then make sure that no Windows Update will ever run uncontrolled.

Who provides the drivers for the "USB Composite Device" and the "Generic PnP Montitor"? Microsoft? Ahhhh :-) ... and do I have a "rollback" option there? Oooops ... no Sir .... no chance ...

And please try to understand the really silly message. 

"Devce xyz was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Wow ... So there was a partial or ambiguous mismatch discovered by the Windows Update running in the background and the decision was to declare the device to stop functioning. And ironically these device drivers are from the very same company that proudly runs the Windows Update.

Now let me prove to you that I am right and that *WIndows Update" is confused and not any BIOS or other components.

1. The issue arises on a running system when a Windows Update is busy in the background. E.g. the external display was running fine for 5 hours until it suddenly stopped working. The only changing process running at the very time was "Windows Update". The same is true for the mice that I have lost.

2. The drivers for the devices still work "partially". E,g, the external display is still recognized correctly and the Logitech Utility still discovers the mouse. The pointers just don't move.  The monitor remains black. The devices are still working. The connections are still working.

3. The Device Manager does not flag the devices as faulty. You have to go into the events tab to see that there is something wrong. This is a Device Manager error by itself as it does not report the problem.

4. I have 2 "Generic PnP Montitor" entries - one for the Laptop display and one for the external ASUS display. Both are the same Microsoft drivers. But only the ASUS shows this partial ambiguity error. The same is true for the USB Composite Device. I have 2 USB ports and only when I attach the Logitech mouse then I get this issue. 

5. 2 and 4 prove that it can't be the provider drivers. They are still working but they are prevented to work correctly by these generic Microsoft drivers or better the device management which is confused by ambiguity. (btw. I uninstalled / installed those drivers just in case).

6. Can it be a BIOS problem? Could you believe that the BIOS would suddenly decide after 5 hours that it does not like the Asus monitor anymore? Or the Logitech mouse? Or the many other devices reported here by the community? That's not a BIOS problem.

I have 33 years experience in the IT industry and when I learned something about this type of problems then it is to acknowledge the facts and believe that the process running when an issue occurs is also the culprit. Just believe it.

There would be a nice quick fix for Windows - just ignore your ambiguous / partial decision and let the drivers do their work. Flag it in the device manager with a warning and so let the user decide if there is really an ambiguous situation that needs to be worked on.

And so Mala - please go back to development and open a problem record. After 3 years of reports of this issue this is something that your Windows users would deserve. 

Hope you can help.

I have just encountered the same problem with an external SSD hooked to a Surface Book 2 (another source of joys).

Having really only stumbled across the warning in Device Manager (on a familiarisation "tour") what I would like to know is what practical effect this has.

Your screen and mice stopped working, my drive still accepts files and which is all I was going to use it for, back up storage not a system drive.

PS Are you:

a) still waiting for an answer

b) given up

c) there is no c) as that would be "have received answer and full rectification of problem"

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same exact problem here and disgusted that no one has gotten back to answer this question.  Disgusted with Microsoft all around.  This is just more of the same nothing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just thought I would add my setup to your issue. I am on an Intel I7 with Nvidia GeForce 1030, the good one with 2gb not the one they have all the trouble with.  I switched out my two View Sonic 27" Monitors for a 4K 55" Samsung TV, I had read about it and liked the idea even though most that are doing this are gamers and I am not, I wanted the true 4k view and now I can have 4 27" monitor size windows stacked and it is awesome.  I have to upgrade my video and upgrade my HDMI to the 18gb cable, and update bios and use newest drivers.  When it all came out I have a true 4096 X 2160 native 4X4X4 setup and the picture is incredible...until the latest windows update and now my screen dos this flickering thing and drives me crazy.  It will stop when you close the browsers and wait a few minutes, sometimes you have to log out and back in.  But I spent a lot of money and time getting all this tricked out and windows update gives me the device not migrated message ?  I spoke with Nvidia and Samsung and both were very helpful but I had all their settings correct.  That just leaves one culprit, so I am very interested in whatever someone hears from them.

Thanks Rick

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue with a Plugable dock and my HP laptop.  Both USB-C ports worked perfectly fine for over a year, now plugging into the rear port gives a similar error and doesn't fully use the dock.  If I reinstall windows it works fine, then somewhere along the line the updates break it.  Very, very frustrating.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this same problem. I believe this malfunction is related to USB XHCI (the USB 3.0 protocol) and the system power management. I believe the port or device, possibly even a hub, goes into a low power state and perhaps switches to a USB 2.0 protocol to save power or goes into a sleep/hibernate state when not in use or being fully utilized.  When the port attempts to resume to full USB 3.0 protocol, the device ends up getting reinitialized and Windows breaks at some driver level code or something of that nature.  I found that switching my keyboard and mice to a completely USB 2.0 port that they no longer exhibit this behavior, and have also had some success disabling power management settings in the device manager for each individual port and device, particularly by changing the view to "View devices by connection" and tracing each affected device up the tree to the very top level port.  This is the right-click "Power Management" checkbox that states "Allow this device to go to sleep to save power" and making sure it is unchecked.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same message when I have tried to connect 3 different types of Bluetooth headphones to my Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. I have tried uninstalling both the bluetooth drivers and headphones. I even tried installing the bluetooth drivers in Windows 8 compatibility mode. 

In all cases, the bluetooth finds the headphones and 'pairs'(through Windows Bluetooth panel), and Windows tells me it has installed the drivers for the headphones. However, when I try to connect the headphones, nothing happens. 

When I then go into Control Panel/Sound, I can see the headphones with a disconnected status. I try to connect. I can not make it a default device(greyed out). I then click on the headphones properties, click properties again and bring up the 'events' tab. This is where I see the message that is the subject of this thread. The expanded version reads:

Device BTHENUM\{24df01a9-3e4f-4c9f-9f66-5aa8ab14f8f4}_LOCALMFG&0000\7&5b09c4b&0&000000000000_00000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: BTHENUM\{24df01a9-3e4f-4c9f-9f66-5aa8ab14f8f4}_LOCALMFG&0000\7&21da09c0&0&000000000000_00000000

Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Location Path: 

Migration Rank: 0xF00000002001F120

Present: false

So this problem extends to many devices. Microsoft seems to be quite disinterested in coming up with a solution. I have spent many hours trying to research this problem, all to no avail.

Sorry this didn't help.