Stuck in black screen with white dot circle still spinning which is going on for hours.

Hello, 

I am on Windows 10 and my laptop model is Lenovo Z51. 

I did not have any previous technical problem with my laptop, until now. This is my first time encountering this kind of problem.

When I started up my laptop, as normal and then a Lenovo logo appears, leading to black screen with a white dot circle spinning. It would normally lead to the login screen but it is still in black screen with white dot circle still spinning which is going on for hours now. I have attempted to restarted my laptop for a few days now and I still have this problem. I have even unplugged all the USB devices and I still have this problem. 

Having googled support forums to find the answers to this problem, I have used the system restore method and having restored my laptop to the recent date, however this problem is not solved. So there must be something wrong with my laptop. 

In case you may ask me this kind of question, I have not made any hardware or software change to my laptop. I do not install any software on my laptop recently. Last time I was on my laptop, I was just surfing the websites and then shut it down as normally, using Start-Power-Shut Down. A few hours later, I found myself encountering this problem after going back to my laptop. 

Can you please please help me out with this problem? This is an urgent matter for me as I have some important saved on my laptop. 

Many thanks in advance. 

PS.

Please see below the images, the first being an issue I am facing right now (my laptop's screen is glossy, so hence this awkward photo!) and the second being the error message after pressing and holding down F3. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Usually the cause is a Logitech wireless mouse or keyboard but as you've unplugged all USB devices this cannot be the cause in your case. If you force restart 3 or 4 times it should automatically go to check & repair your computer, have you tried this? This isn't via the advanced repair options.
Virginia - Time Lady.

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response. 

I have tried your method, forcing restart my laptop more than four times but it does nothing as it didn't automatically go to 'Check & Repair your computer'.  I keep getting the black screen with dot circle spinning and the blue screen, as seen on above images. Do you have any alternative solutions to this? 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you removed all USB devices especially external hard drives as well as any wireless mouse/keyboard?

Can you get into safe mode? Do you have nVidia graphics card? If yes then try uninstalling the nVidia driver.

If you've done these suggestions & problem remains then I'm at a loss to what to do next.

Virginia - Time Lady.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I may have already removed all USB devices, including wireless mouse/keyboard, but I do not have any external hard drive with me. 

How can I get into safe mode? (please bear in mind that I am not quite a computer expert!)

And I think my laptop's graphic card is AMD Radeon so its likely that I don't have nVidia graphic card. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just figured out how to get into Safe Mode now.

I have enabled my laptop into Safe Mode (F4, if you must know) and I have successfully logged in my laptop with my User Account, with all the stuff in there unaffected. The question is that now whether I can log in my laptop without getting into Safe Mode? What is the problem with my laptop if you know the answer already? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds like you got an update that has not completed correctly . . .

1. Press and hold the Power Button for 5 - 10 Seconds to perform a Hard Shut Down
  2. If there is a Wireless Switch on your laptop, turn it off, either way make sure you laptop cannot access the Web
  3. As already explained to you, if there is a USB receiver for a wireless mouse or keyboard, remove it
  4. Power up your laptop, give it 15 minutes and see if the Update completes . . .

If the above does not work, I see from your screen captures you were able to get into Windows Recovery Environment

From there choose one of the many options available from there, in this order, to see if you can get back into your laptop

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Repair, run this and see if it can repair itself

If Startup Repair does not work, go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Settings, click restart.
Upon restart press 4 to boot into Safe Mode, if you can get into Safe Mode, backup your data, reboot and see if your system boots normally

If all this fails go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Reset this PC, choose to keep all your files and Apps
This will re-install Windows 10 whilst keeping your data and applications

NOTE: if you have problems getting into the Windows 10 Recovery Environment:

Start your System, then just after the Manufacturers logo disappears and Windows 10 tries to boot, press and hold the power button down for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down

Do this Twice

On the third boot attempt, Windows will boot into the Windows 10 Repair Environment, from there you can access Startup Recovery, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks for your detailed response.

I have followed every step of your instruction carefully, and having attempted your methods, until this point where Startup Repair did not work, I have managed to boot my laptop into Safe Mode successfully. However I have rebooted it and it is still not working. 

Now for the final step, I am trying to reset my laptop,but I came across the options where it can allow me to keep my personal files but it will remove apps and settings. According to your instruction, I can re-install Windows 10 whilst keeping my data and applications and I don't have this option. I have only two options which enables me to either keep my files or remove everything but my applications and settings will be removed regardless of the options I chose. 

Shall I perform this option where I can keep my personal files whilst my applications and settings will be removed? I do not have a good feeling about this one. I have already back up my files via Safe Mode. I may need your advice on this question.

Thanks.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To better manage this thread about Windows 10, we'd like to check if you still experience your concern.

We look forward to your response.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OMGOSH,

I spend hours trying to get this solved, I removed the battery I also removed the hard drive, I went through all the powet cycles to get it to work without any luck. I did not realize I left my USB mini on my notebook. After I read this article and went to my notebook and removed the USB and the update started to work.

Thank you so much.

I will wait for the update to finish and than I will add the battery back to the notebook.

Thank you

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OMGOSH,

I spend hours trying to get this solved, I removed the battery I also removed the hard drive, I went through all the powet cycles to get it to work without any luck. I did not realize I left my USB mini on my notebook. After I read this article and went to my notebook and removed the USB and the update started to work.

Thank you so much.

I will wait for the update to finish and than I will add the battery back to the notebook.

Thank you

Leaving a USB device plugged in is easy to do especially if it's the wireless mouse/keyboard dongle.

Hopefully all will still be fine when you place the battery back.

Virginia - Time Lady.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 59,334 Applies to: