Stuck at Windows 8 login screen

After running windows updates and restarting the computer I attempted to login, but it just spins.

What steps can be taken to get into my system?

I tried doing a hard shut down.  I unplugged and removed the battery then pressed the power button for 10 seconds then put the battery back, but still can not login.

What are some trouble shooting methods can be used to get me back to using my laptop?

Hi AEGibbs,

-Do you have Windows 8 DVD?

If you have Windows 8 DVD, I would suggest you to refer the methods directly. If you do not DVD then you may have to create an installation media using another computer. In order to create an installation media, you may refer the article: “How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset” from this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

After creating the installation media, I would suggest you to try booting the computer in safe mode using the installation media. Try the following steps.

Method 1: Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8 installation media.

This is an alternate way to boot the PC and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
h) Windows 8 will then look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2: Perform System Restore from Advanced Options screen.
System Restore allows you to restore your computer to a previous state quickly and easily without losing any of your files or personal settings. Sometimes when you install programs or drivers, they may affect some of the system settings and prevent other programs from working correctly. You can use System Restore to revert these settings back to their previous state
Follow the steps:

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Select System Restore.

Note: After you perform System Restore your documents and files will always remain to their previous state.

Let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, please post back. We will be glad to help you.

Regards,
Anil

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the same issue with a laptop I just purchased today. I do not have the CD (DVD) Rom. Do you have any additional suggestions. I enter my password and it just spins and welcomes me, never getting past that page. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nat123OZ,

1.      What is make and model number of the computer? Is it OEM computer?

2.      Did you try the suggestion from my previous post (creating installation media)?

Regards,
Anil

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 1,297 Applies to: