STOP: c0000 21a Fatal System Error

Original Title: starting up problem

Hi,
While installing XP service pack3, the power was off.

Next, while starting up the system it is repeatedly getting restarted without going to desktop screen.
I selected 'Disable automatic restart upon system failure' as suggested on your website. I got the following message on Blue Scrren of Death(BSOD):

STOP : c0000 21a { Fatal System Error}
The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
oxc000003a (ox00000000, ox00000000)
The system has been shutdown.

Please  reply

Ramu

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2018 Views 16,303 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Maybe that's how you think it should work, but that is not how it really works.

I already reproduced the error 5 times in different ways and there is no dump file created.  I could generate a STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} error 25 other ways, but I am convinced - they all behave the same way and they all look alike to me (basically).  No dump files.

I you want to try an example, boot into the Recovery Console and rename your win32k.sys file so it is missing (or corrupt it on purpose), reboot and you will see one of these:

If the win32k.sys is corrupted, XP will look like it is starting to load and then you will see an error like this:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

If the win32k.sys is missing, XP will look like it is starting to load and then you will see an error like this:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

If you experience a different results, I would like to hear about it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

John John:

I sure hope Ramu has a genuine bootable XP installation CD or knows how to make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD (no XP media required) to get into the Recovery Console!

These kinds of STOP crashes do not generate minidumps since XP does not get far enough along.

With these, XP will look like it is going to boot just fine, but shortly after the blue scrolling progress bar on the bottom XP logo screen, XP will crash with the STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} message(s).  You don't get the usual BSOD message and there will be no minidump file to examine.

If you would like to know how to create about 25 differerent kinds of these STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} conditions I can tell you how so you can see for yourself (or trust me).

Sorry this didn't help.

This error (c000021a) occurs after the kernel has loaded the Session Manager and when the Session Manager is starting the user-mode portion of the Windows subsystem, at this stage the Session Manager is well up and running and it should be able to create a dump file, it may be possible that under certain circumstances that the Session Manager may not be able to create the dump file.

The NTSTATUS value 0xC000003A means  STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND (The path %hs does not exist).

The STOP: 0xc000021a {Fatal System Error}: The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a appears because the system can't read the %systemroot% directory which would explain the Session Manager's inability to create the dump file.  Most likely the file system is damaged or the system may have been explicitly denied access to the Windows directory,

John
Programmers are either not taught about Occam's razor or they forgot about it the following day.

Sorry this didn't help.

1-  When your computer boots tap the F8 key before Windows starts to load to get to the Advanced Boot Menu and boot to the Last Known Good Configuration.  If Windows cannot boot proceed to the next step.

2-  A power failure while installing SP3 may have corrupted the file system, boot to the Recovery Console and run
chkdsk /r on the drive and reboot the computer.  If Windows cannot boot proceed to the next step.

3-  Uninstall SP3 via the Recovery Console.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
(See Method 4)

These may be helpful:

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

Boot to Recovery Console without a Windows XP CD

Note that the error that you are receiving after installing SP3 could also be caused by incompatible drivers, we would need to examine the BSOD memory .dmp (dump) file to determine this.

John

Programmers are either not taught about Occam's razor or they forgot about it the following day.

Sorry this didn't help.

Why don't you start a fresh new topic/question/thread for your issue - this one got a little out of control.

Sorry this didn't help.

Then tell me how to recreate one that will generate a dump file and I would like to check it out!

if you see those errors, your system is not going to boot in any mode anyway, so if you are going to suggest collecting dump files, it would be prudent to include a method to do so for a system that will not boot (just in case there are any - which remains to be seen).

Surely one of the Microsoft engaged Support Engineer experts can set me straight.

Maybe  will ask Mark Russinovich... he knows everything!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ramu,

You may try the troubleshooting steps provided in the link below to resolve the issue.

How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A " error

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

Registry disclaimer:

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Let us know if this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm in a situationin which a virtualized domain controller ran out of space entirely in a testlab, and on reboot, will not boot, coming up with this error time and time again.

I've gotten to a command prompt and now running chkdsk /forceofflinefix /scan keeps coming back with an error of 'A snapshot error occurred while scanning this drive... Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50'.

Its seeming like I'll have to blow this machine away.
-red

Sorry this didn't help.

So you've done your tests and experimented with this and were not able to artificially create an 0xC000021A error with a memory dump file ergo, in your estimation, all 0xC000021A errors are unable to create a memory dump file.

While I don't doubt the results of your test your sampling is just too small to accurately represent the hundreds of millions of Windows installations out there and the actual results from a wide range of other users out there who have experienced the error,

One poster here was able to get a dump file from this error and an actual screenshot of an actual 0xC000021A error writing the dump file is captured here .  Search the net and you'll find others,

I don't doubt your test results but you shouldn't make broad sweeping conclusions based on your tests alone.

John

Sorry this didn't help.

Certainly there are circumstances under which the Session Manager cannot create the memory dump file and the problem at hand here is most likely one of those but your assertion that all 0xC000021A system process termination errors result in the inability of the creation of a memory dump is not correct.

John

Sorry this didn't help.