Sticky keys turning on after my computer sleeps

So I asked about this a long time ago and got no response, after putting up with it for a year or so I got sick and tired of it and decided to dig a bit deeper and nip the problem in the bud.  After doing everything I could possible think of I am now just thoroughly confused as to how my computer is even capable of knowing what sticky keys are.

Context:  Since I first got my laptop every time it restarts or goes to sleep the sticky keys turn back on.  Even when they are turned off in the ease of access center they turn right back on.  

Here is a list of the things I have done so far, in order.

1) I renamed Sethc.exe in System 32.  Renaming the sticky keys program seemed to do nothing.

2) I deleted Sethc.exe.  This did nothing to stop my computer from turning on sticky keys.

3) I deleted Sethc.exe.mui  No change.

4) I went into regedit and changed these:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys] “Flags”=”506”

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response] “Flags”=”122”

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys] “Flags”=”58”

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys] “Flags”=”506”[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response] “Flags”=”122”

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys] “Flags”=”58”

Unlike everything so far this actually produced a result.  Now my sticky keys made noises when turning on/off, would actually stay off, and were now active at login screen.  So a mixture of good and bad.

5) I changed the 506 flags to 26 flags.  Sticky keys now has the ability to turn back on.  So not what I wanted.

6) I deleted:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys]

My sticky keys no longer turn back on, but they still play the turning back on sound when shift is pressed 5 times.

At this point I am stumped.  Is there another sticky keys file that I missed?  Can someone tell me what dll file turns on sticky keys so I can edit that section out?  I am completely stumped on how my computer even knows what sticky keys is at this point.

Answer
Answer

Since you already tried creating a new administrator account and the issue still persists, we suggest that you try performing a clean boot to isolate the issue. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10. You can perform a clean boot by following the steps on this link.

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

In case you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 31, 2023 Views 822 Applies to: