startupscan.dll is not a valid Win32 application error message

Hi Guys,

We're running Windows 8 on a HP 2311gt machine and occassionally we keep getting this pop up of 'Scartupscan.dll is not a valid Win32 application. 
As far as we know its not affecting anything, but we can't be sure, it disappears as soon as we move the mouse....its really just an annoyance. 
We also have issues with windows defender, it won't open due to error x800b0100....i undertsand it isnt supposed to run when you have antivirus software installed (we have temporary Norton 360 for 30 days) but it would be nice to have it back rather than carry on getting the error messages.

I have tried troubleshooting through the system, and although it was reported as fixed, it isnt, tried the DISM.exe cleanup-image check and restore which hasnt helped, and have also tried resetting the PC without affecting our files...which hasnt helped....

Can anyone help??

You may have malware, startupscan.dll is suspicious from some sites if seen. Download and run Malwarebytes and see if anything quarantined.

You cannot run 2 anti virus programs at the same time.  If you are using Norton, Windows Defender is automatically turned off and only becomes active if the 3 party AV is uninstalled.  Should you wish to uninstall Norton, which is a resource hog, use the software removal tool from Norton.  I would remove Norton to see if the problem still occurs.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, i had the same problem. I just replaced the damaged startupscan.dll (0 byte) with another one of a running windows 8 system. Works fine.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2020 Views 1,974 Applies to: