Startup repair is attempting repair for over 48 hours

Hi,

Startup repair has been attempting repair for over 48 hours. Is it normal? Cuz I can't cancel it and I'm afraid that manually sutting my comp down would damage it. Could it be that it actually found no prob, but it's still attempting repairs? And could someone plz tell me how long it's supposed to take b4 I should totally give up and shut my comp manually?

It's an HP laptop and I've upgraded windows vista to win 7 a few years ago. Never had a real prob b4. It has win 7 32 bit, 4 gig memory and 250 gig hard disk. I sould add that the indicator blinks every 4 sec or so, so I guess Startup repair is doing something.

Thanks

Hi,

-          Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

This issue might occur if the related system files are either corrupted or missing.

Method 1: Unplug all external devices and restart the computer to check if this helps.

Method 2: Let us try using the Last Known Good Configuration. It's a Windows startup option that uses the most recent system settings that worked correctly.

Using Last Known Good Configuration: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Method 3: I would suggest you to access the System Recovery Options screen and try system restore. You can use the restore points to return Windows 7 to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Important: System Restore will not revert any of the non-system files like documents, email, music, etc. to a previous state. These types files are completely unaffected by System Restore. If your intention with this tool was to recover a deleted non-system file, try using a file recovery program instead of System Restore.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Firstly, I don't have a restore point (I did try this before reverting to startup repair from the win 7 CD. I should mention that this comp was off for the past month or so, so maybe that's the reason for that).

Secondly, I don't have anything aside from the battery and AC plug attached to my comp, so should I unplug these as well?

3. I didn't change anything about the computer. The only thing I can think off is that maybe there was a power surge I'm unaware of.

4. Most importantly, should I turn the comp off manually while it's attempting repairs? (It says it's found disk errors. It's been over 60 hours now)

5. I can't reach Safe mode or my operating system at all, thus F8 only causes my comp to beep.

Thanks for answering

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It finally after working for 72 hours stopped and now it seems I need to update some drivers and such. I hope it works and I don't get this prob again.

Thanks for trying to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope it works and I don't get this prob again.

In this business there is no room for hope. To protect your installation you should create an image of it and store it on an external disk.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2021 Views 27 Applies to: