Spinning circle - Unable to boot pc or enter safe mode

Hi

I hope someone can offer some advice as I am completely stuck.

I know there are lots of topics about this issue and I have checked some but I still haven't found an answer that helps my issue.

The main problem is that I have the blue screen with the spinning circle when trying to boot my pc (windows 10) and I cannot find a way to enter safe mode. I have read that you should press ctrl+alt+delete which will bring up a menu but for me it does not.

I tried f8 when booting to enter safe mode but that did nothing.

I also read that if you can get to the login screen you can press the power button in the corner to reboot in to safe mode, however when I occasionally do see the background image appear where the login screen usually is, there is no login box or power button, only the network icon. Pressing anything at all brings up the spinning circle again.

I unplugged everything from the pc (Inc. network cable) except the monitor and power cable and the issue still remains.

I am lost for what to do now as nothing i have tried works and I am stuck with this spinning circle!

Also to note, this started out as an issue with apps not loading so i found a site with a number of suggestions, one of which was to change permissions on the c drive.

This didn't solve the issue but I noticed that it had removed my pc pin for some reason and when I tried to add it again nothing would happen, I clicked add and nothing.

In the end I did the windows reset pc method hoping that would sort it out and after this the issue still remained.

I downloaded a program from tweaking.com to reset windows 10 permissions and before running it it suggested to switch the pc off and unplug etc to drain the power. When I turned the pc back on is when i got the spinning circle for the first time.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 😊

I have managed to get back into windows after a lot of trying.

I created a windows 10 repair disk on my dad's pc and put that on a USB stick.

This would not boot without being able to access the bios to change the boot device, however I managed to figure out that pressing either f1 or f12 rapidly while the pc logo shows (immediately after pc startup) will load the bios.

I ran the repair disk and the repair feature failed to fix anything and the system restore option failed to restore twice.

The last option apart from a full reinstallation was the command prompt.

I used the following link to get the commands to repair the master boot record:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

I didn't know if this was the issue but as the other options failed I thought it could be a corrupt mbr. I entered the comnands, rebooted the pc and it loaded normally again.

I've no idea what caused the mbr to become corrupted apart from maybe the windows reset that I ran.

I still have to check if everything else is working OK but at least I am back in windows again!

Hopefully the above might help someone else if they have a similar issue.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2023 Views 1,525 Applies to: