specific keys on keyboard not working (CTRL, ALT, WINDOWS)

my pc is updated to the version 21H1 and I've been facing issues with my keyboard since a few days now. everything works fine except for CTRL WINDOWS and ALT key. but all 3 of those keys work fine on the OKS (on screen keyboard). keyboard drivers are updated i tried reinstalling them anyway but didn't work, then i thought it could be because of my keyboard so i bought a new one and i am facing the same issue on that as well, the same keys aren't working. i also tried checking and un-checking sticky and toggle keys in ease of access but not helping. there is no update pending on my pc, my keyboard drivers are updated, my keyboard is brand new. i dont know what is causing this. someone told me to try and downgrade to the previous update but its been more than 10 days since i updated so i can't do that either

Answer
Answer
Hello Shivam, how are you?
Welcome to the Microsoft community!

My name is Paloma B., I'm an independent advisor, I'm here to help you in the best possible way.

I am sorry to hear about this problem, please check that after these procedures the problem still happens.

Initially I suggest you access the website of the manufacturer of your equipment by brand and model, download and install all the latest drivers, such as the network card, video card, chipset, Bios, among others.

Method 1
Make sure your keyboard input method is configured with the correct layout for your language.

Method 2
1. Press the Windows + Q keys and type CMD;
2. Right-click on Run as Administrator;
3. Paste the commands below:

REG DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout" /V "ScanCode map" /F
REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoWinKeys" /F

Now do the keys work correctly? If not, do the procedure below:

1. Press the Windows + Q keys, type and click on Notepad;
2. Paste the values ​​below into the notebook:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,09,00,00,00,00,00,5b,e0,00,00,5c,e0,00,00,5d,e0,00,00,44,00,00,00,1d,00,00,00,38,00,00,00,1d,e0,00,00,38,e0,00,00,00,00

3. Click File> Save, name it Keyboard.reg and click OK (Save to the desktop);
4. Right-click on Key.reg and select Merge;
5. Click Ok> Yes> Yes.
6. Restart the system.

If the behavior persists, proceed to the next method.

Method 3
1. Press the Windows + C keys and click Settings.
2. Click Change computer settings.
3. Click Ease of Access.
4. Click Keyboard.
5. Disable Sticky Keys.
6. Check that the keys work correctly.

Method 4
Uninstall the keyboard driver:

1. Press the Windows + X keys simultaneously;
2. Click on the Device Manager option;
3. Click the arrow that points to Keyboards;
4. Right-click on the installed device and click uninstall;
5. Restart the computer.

Method 5
Your user may be corrupted. Create a new account to see if the problem persists.

Press the Windows + R keys;
Type netplwiz and press ok;
Click on the Add option;
Select the option Sign in without a Microsoft account;
Choose a name and password for this profile and after that proceed to the next steps;
After the new profile is created, go back to the User Accounts screen, click on your user and then on Properties. Select the Group Membership tab;
Mark the profile as Administrator and click on Ok.
Sign in with the new account. If the problem is resolved, copy and paste the files from the old account to the new account (Go to File Explorer> This computer> C:> User> user folder).

I await news.

If these procedures helped you in any way, please click on "I solved my problem" and also mark as an answer, so you can help others users.

We will always be available for whatever you need!

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2024 Views 38,491 Applies to: