Some keys on laptop keyboard not working (Windows 10)

I'm having a keyboard issue. I don't know if this is the correct topic for this exact forum...

- Ok so I have an Acer Aspire V5-471G laptop. N its currently running windows 10 and I downloaded the anniversary update.

- But after the second week of October(i think, can't remember) certain keys on my keyboard have just stopped working for no reason at all. 

- Specifically the letters:- W, E, R, Y   and the TAB key and recently I noticed the Windows Key is also not working.

- They do not work at all and nothing happens when I press these keys.

- As far I know the rest of the keys are working fine coz I did an online keyboard test(or maybe some key I dont use isn't working n I missed it) 

- I don't know if the keys have stopped working bcoz of downloading the anniversary update or something else.

- I have tried removing the keys and cleaning under them with a soft-haired paintbrush coz I thought maybe there was dust under them that was obstructing the working of the keys but that dint change anything n keys were still not working after cleaning under them..

- Also 2 days after I found this problem, I did a system restore to a restore point that I had created about 5-7 days ago(in the restore point I created, everything including the keys was working fine thats y I decided to use the system restore). But that dint work either, the sys restore rolledback some updates but that was all; the keys were still not working..

- And so after I decided to look for answers on the net but I dint find anything helpful. I did read somewhere that there could be a keyboard driver issue and so I checked Device Manager and tried updating the keyboard drivers but it said that the drivers are already updated. 

- and also I read somewhere on the net that if your keyboard is not working you should try using the on-screen keyboard and check if the keys that are not working on the physical keyboard are working on the onscreen keybaord, then it might be an issue or something like that.. 

so I tried using the OSK but all the keys are working fine on that n so now I don't know what's the problem on the physical keyboard... 

- As of now I'm using the OSK for typing the letters that don't work but I want a proper solution for this... 

Plz give me some solutions for this... 

And if you need any more information of my laptop or anything else please let me know...

[N if your wondering how I typed this then i'm using my work computer :P]

Thanks to anyone who replies... :)

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Since that you've already performed System Restore and updated the keyboard drivers but you're still having the same issue, the next step we suggest is contacting your product's manufacturer for them to run a diagnostic on your device.

Thanks.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it but in the meantime can someone suggest something else??

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a keyboard issue. I don't know if this is the correct topic for this exact forum...

- Ok so I have an Acer Aspire V5-471G laptop. N its currently running windows 10 and I downloaded the anniversary update.

- But after the second week of October(i think, can't remember) certain keys on my keyboard have just stopped working for no reason at all. 

- Specifically the letters:- W, E, R, Y   and the TAB key and recently I noticed the Windows Key is also not working.

- As far I know the rest of the keys are working fine coz I did an online keyboard test(or maybe some key I dont use isn't working n I missed it) 

- I don't know if the keys have stopped working bcoz of downloading the anniversary update or something else.

- I have tried removing the keys and cleaning under them with a soft-haired paintbrush coz I thought maybe there was dust under them that was obstructing the working of the keys but that dint change anything n keys were still not working after cleaning under them..

- Also 2 days after I found this problem, I did a system restore to a restore point that I had created about 5-7 days ago(in the restore point I created, everything including the keys was working fine thats y I decided to use the system restore). But that dint work either, the sys restore rolledback some updates but that was all; the keys were still not working..

- And so after I decided to look for answers on the net but I dint find anything helpful. I did read somewhere that there could be a keyboard driver issue and so I checked Device Manager and tried updating the keyboard drivers but it said that the drivers are already updated. 

- and also I read somewhere on the net that if your keyboard is not working you should try using the on-screen keyboard and check if the keys that are not working on the physical keyboard are working on the onscreen keybaord, then it might be an issue or something like that.. 

so I tried using the OSK but all the keys are working fine on that n so now I don't know what's the problem on the physical keyboard... 

- As of now I'm using the OSK for typing the letters that don't work but I want a proper solution for this... 

And if you need any more information of my laptop or anything else please let me know...

Hi I am having the same problem.. but my system is an hp

152 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I am having the same problem.. but my system is an hp
Please note that I did not invite the windows update it just took over

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows makes no distinction over all main key inputs, this is NOT a Windows Issue.

Keyboards are mapped on a grid pattern where each key is at the junction of a particular row and column. Therefore a column will have a number of keys on it as will each row.

When a column (or row) input on the keyboard controller fails all the keys on that line no longer respond. Your key grouping would indicate that row has failed, the fact that Q and T are not included means that they are most likely on another  row.

It could be the controller (on the motherboard) but more likely the keyboard, in particular the ribbon end. The ONLY solution is to replace the keyboard and use an external keyboard as an interim solution.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

Seems like your laptop is locked, you need to enable them using pressing function key+ F11

here is a manual for you laptop

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/562842/Acer-Aspire-V5-573g.html#manual

If above not help , you need to contact manufacture support team as mentioned by Paola Gar .

44 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Numeric Lock function does not just affect the keys the O/P refers to. It turns the Right side keys into a numeric pad.

He also reports that the keys do nothing at all. NumLock switched the mode of specific keys, they still work but do not output the normal characters. The keys still work but the keys UIOP and below function as a numeric pad, the others work as normal.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey PattiJ! Are the exact same keys not working for you too??(W, E, R, Y, TAB & Windows Key)

In my case with the anniversary update, I dint get it from the Windows Update in the control panel coz whenever I checked for updates it never showed me any new updates(it just showed me windows defender updates). But I really wanted the update so I decided to get the update directly from the microsoft website.

But even after getting the update my keyboard was working fine so I was not sure that the problem was bcoz of the update. [I'm not sure exactly sure when my keys stopped working after i got the update so i was confused if the update was the reason for the keys failure] 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hello eevee93,

I am also having this same issue. It happened once after i upgraded to windows 10, then the problem fixed itself. Then it happened again and has not fixed itself since. I pretty much tried all the common solutions ive read here so far, including re installing driver. Onscreen keyboard also does not work. However, the touch screen keyboard does, which is how i am currently typing this. Please help.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hello eevee93,

I am also having this same issue. It happened once after i upgraded to windows 10, then the problem fixed itself. Then it happened again and has not fixed itself since. I pretty much tried all the common solutions ive read here so far, including re installing driver. Onscreen keyboard also does not work. However, the touch screen keyboard does, which is how i am currently typing this. Please help.

Which keys are not working for you?? Are they the same keys which I had mentioned?

(W, E, R, Y, TAB & Windows Key)

And what brand laptop are you using?? And also did this happen to u after downloading the anniversary update??

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2021 Views 65,306 Applies to: