some FLAC Tags in Explorer not visible

Hi to everyone!

In Windows 10 for some of my FLAC files certain tags do not show up in Explorer. For most of my files I get complete information (track number, artist, album, title, ...) for some files e.g. the track number or artist doesn't show up.

I have tried to rewrite the tags with Foobar2000, but no success.

I have also converted those FLAC files to MP3. Those MP3 files show all their information correctly in Explorer. I know it doesn't make sense, but I have converted those MP3's back to FLAC and again there is information missing in Explorer.

I thought the problem must be connected to the content of the tags. So I edited those tags in MP3Tag. I altered some tags, but mostly nothing would happen. But occasionally if I change one tag, some other tags or all of them would show up. If I change them back to their original content it would be same like before altering them.

I just think that is a strange behaviour and not satisfying. I have tried this on 3 computers with Windows 10 on them. It is always the same.

Is this a known issue or are their any solutions? I am pretty sure my files are not corrupt. They work on any other device. They are all created with Exact Audio Copy with identical settings. Just some show this behaviour in Explorer.

Thanks!

Christian

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Pleg, 

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical preview.

I can understand how frustrating it can be when things don’t work as expected. I'd be glad to help you.

Please answer the following for us to assist you better:

1.     Which windows 10 build customer is using at this point of time?

2.     From which build he upgraded the system and was it working with the previous build?

3.     Was this feature working with the previous O.S ?

Please reply with the required information, I will be glad to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ruth,

thanks for your reply!

Let me answer your questions:

1. I use Windows 10 build 10162 at this point of time.

2. I upgraded from Build 10135 and no, I had the same problem with the previous build.

3. Before Windows 10 I used Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 which both do not offer native FLAC support. I used the "Windows 7 FLAC Property Handler" instead and everything worked fine; all tags were displayed in Explorer, even for the files that don't work now. Unfortunately installing the "Windows 7 FLAC Property Handler" does not show any effect on Windows 10 anymore.

Best regards,

Christian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pleg,

We are sorry for the delay in response.

Please be informed that some of the Windows 7 codecs/applications might not on Windows 10.

Please be informed that Windows 10 Technical Preview is still in development stage, certain features might not work in the usual manner. Some of the Windows 7 codecs/applications might not support on Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Full support for Windows 10 will be available when the Microsoft releases Official Windows 10 on 29 July.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 FAQ.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still doesn't work on the Windows 10 final. Some tags don't display. And still have no idea why that is. All my FLAC files are created using the same tools and procedure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still doesn't work on the Windows 10 final. Some tags don't display. And still have no idea why that is. All my FLAC files are created using the same tools and procedure.

I  cannot get file explorer to show the ratings for flac files at all. mp3 files are fine!

I  can assign a rating to a flac file in the details pane (ie give it 3 yellow stars), however,after clicking save, they just disappear again?

I have tried using the Audioshell software,however,even though the rating is there in the tag editor,they aren't showing up in file explorer?

It's almost like windows 10 can't write or display the RATING WMP tag for flac files for some reason?

Even if you add the RATING WMP tag manually to a flac file,file explorer will not display it!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have upgraded my PC from Win8.1 to Win10 by Aug 1, I uesed play FLAC by WMP with some Plug-ins without problem. 

But WIN10 I have same problems as Pelg's & Barn's have. In addition, when those plug-ins uninstalled. The FLAC files don't supported by both WMP & Groove with code 0XC00d11d2. 

I wonder if WIN10 real native support FLAC file?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. .wma and .mp3 are fine but in flac are some tags missing. On Win7 is everything fine even the flac tags.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here are some screen copies to point out those problems:

WMP12 version

No support FLAC format & some tags missing

explorer miss some tags fields

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have very similar problem when I updated from W8.1. My Windows Media Player crashed when I try to edit tags.

On W8.1 I downloaded codecs and plugins for play FLAC files and edit their tags. So when I updated to Windows 10 I did't uninstall any of these. I uninstalled them once I was on Windows 10. Result: I couldn't play any FLAC files.

Solution: Go back to Windows 8.1 and before update to Windows 10 uninstall all FLAC codecs, plugins, etc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Problems still there, I tried back to 8.1 then upgraded to 10. It didn't work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2024 Views 610 Applies to: