SOLVED!! -- WInodws 10 update 21H2 stuck at 66%, no method works, HELP!!

I have not been able to upgrade my windows 10 computer. my current version is 1909, I have tried all the updates from 20H1 to 21H2, but after the reboots it goes to the blue screen and it stays at 66% once or twice I have seen it go to 67%. I hale left it there running for a full weekend and nothing, I have to reboot the computer to revert the changes if I want to use it.

I tried using windows update, update assistant and even creating a bootable USB it all gives me the same results. I have tried everything I can find in other posts of users experiencing similar issues.

Any suggestion and help is appreciated.

I do not want to lose my files and applications.

========================================================

UPDATE:

I finally was able to update, it took me about a year of trying so many things!!!

What I had to do is do a Windows Reset by going to Settings > Updates & Security > Recovery > Click Get Started under Reset this PC.

What this did is uninstall all applications and reset all windows settings to defaults.

Once the reset finished, I was able to install the update by using the Updates assistant USB method.

Hi Juan,
My name is Igor, I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you. I'm sorry you have a problems.

Please share memory dumps to OneDrive for analysis.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply.

I left the update running from 12/30/21 to 01/02/2021 It got to 69%, at that point I rebooted because I needed to use my computer. After the reboot I got this error:

I looked for "C:/Windows/Minidump" and "C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP" but those do not exist.

Any other suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Juan,
My name is Igor, I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you. I'm sorry you have a problems.

Please share memory dumps to OneDrive for analysis.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

I found some log files here "C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther" which you can see here, hopefully that is helpful:

Thanks,

Juan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, I had the same issue for ages, I thought my PC was broken, but I eventually found this fix after trying absolutely everything else... make sure to find the part where it says - get important updates - and to select not right now.. because I nearly missed it, and that is the key to it working I think, here's the link, hope it helps you too.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade-assistant-is-stuck-at-99-861fd3a5-1b9a-35b5-4e5e-a502cfd65dc8

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Igor, I tried updating following PateQP instructions (thanks Pete!!) but it crashed. So this time there were memory dump files, I have added those to the previously provided google drive share.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to hear that, I know how annoying this can be after having so many issues myself in recent months... maybe you could try my method but with this time selecting yes when it asks to get important updates... for me the issue was it would get stuck when it tried getting updates, but for you it might be another issue.. Good luck anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally was able to update, it took me about a year of trying so many things!!!

What I had to do is do a Windows Reset by going to Settings > Updates & Security > Recovery > Click Get Started under Reset this PC.

What this did is uninstall all applications and reset all windows settings to defaults.

Once the reset finished, I was able to install the update by using the Updates assistant USB method.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2024 Views 4,171 Applies to: