SOLVED: Windows Update KB3124262 - HOW DO I GET THIS TO INSTALL OR KILL IT? - Clean Reinstall Fixed it

I have absolutely had it with this FLIPPING update.  Ever since its release it has FAILED TO INSTALL on my HP Envy 17-3D laptop. 

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date:          2016-02-07 6:03:22 PM
Event ID:      20
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Failure,Installation
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      ENVY17
Description:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xE0000003: Update for Windows (KB3124262).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}" />
    <EventID>20</EventID>
    <Version>1</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>1</Task>
    <Opcode>13</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-08T01:03:22.732947100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>16096</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1592" ThreadID="8936" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>ENVY17</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="errorCode">0xe0000003</Data>
    <Data Name="updateTitle">Update for Windows (KB3124262)</Data>
    <Data Name="updateGuid">{5C98A946-1711-4162-82B4-5DB9A55FABB6}</Data>
    <Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">501</Data>
    <Data Name="serviceGuid">{BE7EA880-0BD9-40F9-8A2A-D3C7009D37A1}</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

WTH is a 0x00000003 Error

I have done the

manual stop services, rename update folders, restart services as directed in other threads, I

have run SFC /scannow and no errors to be repaired,

I have logged in to my MS Account and ensured that the computer is validated,

I have run the DIMS or DMIS or whatever command that is...

I AM NOW FED UP of DOWNLOADING this update OVER AND OVER again just to have the FLIPPING thing fail and have the computer roll back only to DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN and FAIL!!!

Either - GIVE ME BACK THE ABILITY TO KILL/HIDE AN UPDATE or tell me HOW TO GET THIS FLIPPING THING TO INSTALL!!!

Putting my computer to sleep or doing a CLEAN install is NOT an option.  I have TOO MUCH valuable data on this machine to risk losing it and TOO MANY programs that would have to be reinstalled. 

System Specs:

Operating System
 Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
 Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz 76 °C
 Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
 Hewlett-Packard 1590 (CPU) 76 °C
Graphics
 Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
 1024MB ATI AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series (HP) 79 °C
Storage
 931GB Seagate ST1000LM014-1EJ164 (SATA) 51 °C
 29GB SD Card (USB)
Optical Drives
 hp BDDVDRW CA21N
Audio
 AMD High Definition Audio Device 

ADVISE!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with installing a Windows Update KB3124262 and receive error code 0x00000003I appreciate your efforts, I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:
1. Incorrect Windows Update settings.
Conflict between third party applications.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:
I suggest you to run “Windows Update troubleshooter” to diagnose the exact issue. It will fix common issues related to Windows Update.

a. Press Windows key from the keyboard.

b. Type Troubleshooting in the search box.

c. Select View all option from the left panel.

d. Then select Windows Update option from the list and follow the onscreen instructions.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us  

Warning:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That was the first thing I did.  The issue IS NOT resolved.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation Disc and perform a repair on the computer. To create a please find the below link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

To know how to create a disc, please follow the below link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-manual-upgrade-installation/8cb20cea-4d1c-4c1e-996c-b248493d10e8?tm=1438499976622

Method 1:

To perform a Repair on the computer, Please follow the below steps:

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select‘Startup Repair’ and select the operating system.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, you may perform a check disk and check if that helps.

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and click on command prompt.

e. Run the following command from the command prompt and press enter.

chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)

e. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

f. Restart the computer.

Important: When you run the check disk, there are chances of losing data so you can take a backup before running check disk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

chkdsk came back should no errors on the drive.  Now KB3135173 won't install.  This is the second cumulative update that has failed....  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated. I appreciate the troubleshooting you tried on the computer.

Please follow the below troubleshooting to fix the problem:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to put your computer in clean boot state and try performing a system image backup and check if that fixes the issue.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may go ahead and disable or uninstall the same. Refer the following article to perform clean boot.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: Once you are done with clean boot, please follow step 7 in the article to set your computer back to normal startup.

Method 3:

I suggest that you temporarily disable the antivirus on the computer and firewall on the computer and check with the issue. Make sure to enable the anti-virus and firewall on the computer.

You may refer the following link to disable firewall.

Turn Windows Firewall on or off

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-Firewall-on-or-off ( also applies to Windows 10)

NOTE: Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from worms or hackers.

You may refer the following link to disable Antivirus software installed on your computer.

Disable antivirus software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software( also applies to Windows 10)

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Please reply with the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is absolutely ridiculous...

Steps taken so far. 

1. Completely Disabled Kaspersky TIS 2016 and service (I actually uninstalled the program),
2. Enabled MS Firewall and MS Defender.

3. ran chkdsk /f /r

Check Disk  stalled at 30% for four hours.

4. FORCED an automated repair by multiple restarts.

5. Attempted Update... Failed!

6. Logged into my MS Account with those settings.

7. Attempted Update... Failed

8. DELETED ALL other users except mine on system.

9. Ran SFC /Scannow in an Administrator Level Command prompt.

10. Found errors that could not be repaired (Broken Manifest)

2016-02-17 16:06:48, Info                  CSI    000020dc [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-MFCore, version 10.0.10586.63, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, manifest is damaged (TRUE)
2016-02-17 16:09:09, Info                  CSI    000028cd [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-Runtime-Windows-Media, version 10.0.10586.63, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, manifest is damaged (TRUE)
2016-02-17 16:19:20, Info                  CSI    00004a3e [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2016-02-17 16:19:24, Info                  CSI    00004a41 [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-MFCore, version 10.0.10586.63, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, manifest is damaged (TRUE)
2016-02-17 16:24:36, Info                  CSI    0000615a [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-MFCore, version 10.0.10586.63, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, manifest is damaged (TRUE)
2016-02-17 16:24:36, Info                  CSI    0000615d [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-Runtime-Windows-Media, version 10.0.10586.63, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, manifest is damaged (TRUE)
2016-02-17 16:24:36, Info                  CSI    00006160 [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-MFCore, version 10.0.10586.63, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, manifest is damaged (TRUE)
2016-02-17 16:24:36, Info                  CSI    00006163 [SR] Cannot verify component files for Microsoft-Windows-Runtime-Windows-Media, version 10.0.10586.63, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, manifest is damaged (TRUE)
2016-02-17 16:24:36, Info                  CSI    00006164 [SR] Repair complete
2016-02-17 16:24:36, Info                  CSI    00006175 [SR] Committing transaction
2016-02-17 16:24:36, Info                  CSI    0000617a [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired

11. Downloaded a clean Windows 10 image from MS to a USB

12. Ran dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:F:\ 

DISM could not find repair files from the USB.

11. Ran net use H: {\\computer\volume} and pointed to another network computer that has a good Win10 image and the update installed

12. Ran dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth source:h:\windows /limitaccess (which reported fixes applied)
Repair complete and successful (according to the close line in the Admim Command Prompt window.

13. Downloaded Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3135173) from the Microsoft Update Catalogue site and forced an manual install of the MSU.

14. Rebooted the machine...  UPDATE Failed!!!  

WHAT THE ____ do I have to do to get this to install?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jack,

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you.

I suggest you to download the update and install from the below article and check if it helps.

Refer: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511: January 27, 2016

Hope it helps. keep us posted to help you better.

Thank you
Sachin.V
Microsoft Community

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jack,

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you.

I suggest you to download the update and install from the below article and check if it helps.

Refer: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511: January 27, 2016

Hope it helps. keep us posted to help you better.

@Sachin Venkatesh Thanks for the reply, See Step 13 in the process above...  I already did that!! FAIL!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated. I appreciate the troubleshooting you tried on the computer.

Please follow the below troubleshooting to fix the problem:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to put your computer in clean boot state and try performing a system image backup and check if that fixes the issue.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may go ahead and disable or uninstall the same. Refer the following article to perform clean boot.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: Once you are done with clean boot, please follow step 7 in the article to set your computer back to normal startup.

Method 3:

I suggest that you temporarily disable the antivirus on the computer and firewall on the computer and check with the issue. Make sure to enable the anti-virus and firewall on the computer.

You may refer the following link to disable firewall.

Turn Windows Firewall on or off

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-Firewall-on-or-off ( also applies to Windows 10)

NOTE: Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from worms or hackers.

You may refer the following link to disable Antivirus software installed on your computer.

Disable antivirus software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software( also applies to Windows 10)

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Please reply with the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Maybe having Windows go to some diagnostics log file that specifies WHY things fail rather than to have it open the setting Update Page, leaving the user completely oblivious might be a better use of time.  This is so flipping frustrating!  AND is MS going to pay back the wasted bandwidth used in the constant download of the update?  I doubt it.  

Sorry this didn't help.

You're not going to believe this . . .

Struggled for days with similar scenario until I turned it over to Geek Squad.

Turns out, KBxxxxxxx WAS fully installed on my 'puter; MS's Win 10 program is buggy and can't recognize the installation, so it faithfully delivers pop-up warnings that the update wasn't installed.

Go to SETTINGS, UPDATE AND SECURITY, AND TYPE KBxxxxxxx (insert appropriate numbers) IN SEARCH BOX IN UPPER RIGHT CORNER.

If the search produces results, your turmoil has ended.

At least MS is consistent:  They never fail to disappoint me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2020 Views 5,374 Applies to: