[SOLVED] Why can't I use my biometric fingerprint reader with Windows 10

I have a Digital persona U.are.U 4500 fingerprint reader attached to my system that was working with Windows 7. After upgrading to Windows 10, it no longer works. Windows 10 is recognizing it and it is listed in the device list as a working device. Supposedly it is supposed to work in concert with Microsoft Hello but I do not have any options for Microsoft Hello listed under my account/sign-in options page. According to the Windows compatibility center, this fingerprint reader is supposed to work with Windows 10 without any additional 3rd party drivers or software. So.....how do I make it work?

Windows 8.1 and 10 need a WBF driver for the reader so it can be used with the native windows fingerprint settings. As this device is not shipped with a such a driver, an external management tool will be needed.

Same goes for the Futronics FS88H, which needs the Finlogon Personal Edition software next to the driver to be able to allow for windows logon with fingerprint.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, Microsoft's own compatibility website is very misleading about this. They state that for Windows 7.x and 8.x, 3rd party drivers and software are required to make the device work. For Windows 10 they state that no additional 3rd party drivers or software are required to use this fingerprint reader.

I had this fingerprint reader working with drivers and software downloaded from Digital Persona on my Windows 7 pro 64-bit system but after that system was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro the Digital Persona software now says that the reader is not installed even though Windows 10 shows that the reader is an installed device and the device is working properly.

I guess I am pretty much screwed here. Microsoft has always taken a very poor approach when it comes to biometric fingerprint readers. They actually used to sell a Microsoft branded fingerprint reader and inexplicitly (and very suddenly) discontinued all support for that reader after Windows Vista. Digital persona stopped supporting Windows drivers for their fingerprint readers because Microsoft made it not worth their effort. It now looks like Microsoft believes that utilizing your face via a webcam is more secure than your unique fingerprints. What a shame!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Some updated information for anyone that may have this same issue. You can get the fingerprint reader to work at the login screen with Digital Persona's, "Digitalpersona Personal" software.

If you were using that software with Windows 7 and upgraded your Widows 7 installation to Windows 10, the DigitalPersona Personal" software will not recognize that the device is hooked up to your system and (according to the installed devices list) is working properly. This appears to be because the Windows 10 upgrade installed device drivers for this hardware that was written by Microsoft not Digital Persona. to get it working again you will need to uninstall the DigitalPersona Personal software and the install the drivers for this hardware that was working for you under Windows 7. Reboot and then reinstall the DigitalPersona Personal software (version 4.00.3691). Reboot again and after you system loads back up you will need to open the DigitalPersona Personal software by double clicking on its icon in the running apps part of the taskbar and the re-registering your fingerprints.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just found this thread and for that someone may be able to assist please?

I have a Futronic FS88H reader. I can install Windows 10 drivers for the scanner. I can install Finlogon Personal Edition but when I try to add my fingerprints, Finlogon advises that there are no drivers installed and I can't scan my fingers. Finlogon appears to start correctly with windows 10 showing at the login screen as required.

I can see the device in Windows 10 and Windows 10 has a demo app that allows you to see your fingerprint when on the scanner so the drivers must be installed. I just cant seem to get Finlogon to work.

I'm wandering if I am using Windows 10 drivers that are not compatible with Finlonon as its only certified for Windows 8 and earlier versions.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

149 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

I too faced the same issue, but now I have solved this issue.

It is very simple!!!.

Step 1: Click on User Icon

Step 2 : Click on Change Account Settings

Step 3: Click on Sign in with a local Account instead

Step 4: Type your Microsoft account password and click next.

Step 5: Under User name you will see your computers name.

Enter the old password that you have configured for your windows 7 and the fingerprint reader.

Enter the password hint and click next

Step 6: Once you are in the final step Just click on Sign out and finish.

you will fully logout and a new login screen will come where your finger print reader will work perfectly as it was working before. make sure you retail the old windows password and the Finger print password correctly. Now every thing is set and you will fine. thanks !!!

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dude, you are awesome, i followed these steps and it worked perfectly. Now my $70 fingerprint reader is fully functional and I don't have to use the password to log in anymore; unless i want to.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI friend.

I don't know if you problem is same to occured me but I tell you, I have a app with de finger print digitalperona 4500 but when I pass this app to windows 10 the reader can't recognize the fingerprint, I spend much time till found the solution.

found what my driver was 1.4 and already exists the version 1.6 I downloaded and all works the perfection 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi leo,
I have the  DigitalPersona 4000B reader, but I can't find drivers for Win10 64bits on the web. Maybe you could help me.

Thanks.

Saludos desde Mexico.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Some updated information for anyone that may have this same issue. You can get the fingerprint reader to work at the login screen with Digital Persona's, "Digitalpersona Personal" software.

If you were using that software with Windows 7 and upgraded your Widows 7 installation to Windows 10, the DigitalPersona Personal" software will not recognize that the device is hooked up to your system and (according to the installed devices list) is working properly. This appears to be because the Windows 10 upgrade installed device drivers for this hardware that was written by Microsoft not Digital Persona. to get it working again you will need to uninstall the DigitalPersona Personal software and the install the drivers for this hardware that was working for you under Windows 7. Reboot and then reinstall the DigitalPersona Personal software (version 4.00.3691). Reboot again and after you system loads back up you will need to open the DigitalPersona Personal software by double clicking on its icon in the running apps part of the taskbar and the re-registering your fingerprints.

I had no problem with the integrated digitalPersona SimplePass  when my HP Pavilion dv6 converted to W10 from W7. But now I have a Dell Latitude E6440. I bought a digitalPersona u.are.u 4000B. Windows 10 recognized it but couldn't find a driver. I found a generic. W10 sees it, and according to device manager it's working properly. However, it's not doing anything. It behaves as though it's captured my print, but no software shows up to use it. 

I bought the reader to work with W10 hello. What software does W10 to use the fingerprint reading hardware and driver? Is the reader model too old to work with W10?

Janet Braunstein

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 36,778 Applies to: