[Solved] Error 0xc0000005 / KERNELBASE.dll / ntdll.dll : The "Virus:Win32/Floxif" Virus!

Hi,

It's been a week that I've tried to fix this but I can't find a permanent solution to it.

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IIL

Freshly installed Windows 10 Home (1903) came preinstalled.

I installed Citrix Receiver and it worked properly for few days.

Windows was up to date and I kept installing required software on the laptop.

Everything was working fine until I saw this when I opened Citrix after installing all my software.

Faulting application name: SelfService.exe, version: 19.11.0.33, time stamp: 0x5de530b0
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x85c674ff
Faulting process id: 0x1cc0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d66191deb5b4f9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\SelfServicePlugin\SelfService.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: db3a31bc-2b45-45e8-8350-cd8beb27f030
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: Receiver.exe, version: 20.6.0.20, time stamp: 0x5ed9b1c0
Faulting process id: 0x1010
Faulting application start time: 0x01d66132af07bc1a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\receiver\Receiver.exe
Report Id: dec50756-785d-418d-a40c-2bba6df96bae

What I tried :

• sfc /scannow
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • chkdsk C: /f /x /r
  • Changed LoadAppInit_DLLs from 1 to 0 and back to 1
  • Uninstalling all Windows Updates
  • Disabled McAfee Antivirus
  • Updated Display Drivers (all were already up to date)
  • Turned DEP OFF
  • Cleaned Registry using CCleaner
  • Rebooted to safe mode, reinstalled Citrix over there
  • Updated Citrix Receiver to the latest version available

After every action, I reinstalled Citrix Receiver and rebooted, nothing worked.

Finally, I did a reset wiping my C drive and reinstalling Windows. This made me go back to square 1 but the problem was fixed.

I started installing my software one by one and found "WinThruster" as the application after which Citrix stopped working and gave the 0xc0000005 error.

I reinstalled Windows. Citrix was working. I skipped WinThruster and went on with other software installations.

Again, Citrix gave out a 0xc0000005 error after I installed about 3-4 software from which I found out that the culprit was my TP-Link Wi-Fi Receiver Driver.

I reinstalled Windows (this time, selecting the Cloud option that's new in v2004). Citrix was working. I skipped WinThruster/TP-Link Driver and went on with other software installations.

Again, Citrix gave out 0xc0000005 error after installing some more software.

This time I had a System Restore Point and I used it to go back to the previous state (fresh Windows, first start). Citrix was working. I skipped all software I was previously installing and went on with my list.

Again, Citrix gives out 0xc0000005 error after installing some software.

Is there a permanent fix for this? Currently, the laptop's running Windows 10 Home (2004), with KB2565063, KB4565627, KB4565503 and KB4566785, i.e., up to date.

I also had Windows 7 SP1 on my other PC, which used to run perfectly, with *all* the same software installed along with Citrix - I never had such problems with it.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION : This got solved by uninstalling Citrix which was installed from its official website and installing it from the Microsoft Store.

REASON OF ERROR : My laptop was infected with the Win32 Floxif.H Virus. But that doesn't affect apps from Microsoft Store, hence the above "temporary" solution. You need to reset Windows cleaning ALL drives (because the virus will infect executable files on all your drives) and then... remember to not download things like : Wondershare Filmora + Effect Packs (the file "Filmora9 Fixer by Thirdzky.exe" has the Win32 Floxif virus.

Hi,

My name is Erik. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today

Let us try this option first
because there's a lot option to fix the Error (0xc0000005)

This will be the first option

-Run Registry Editor

1st. Press Win key + R, type regedit, and press Enter

2nd.When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Windows

3rd. find and click LoadAppInit_DLLs and change its value from 1 to 0 and To confirm the changes, click OK

4th.Restart your PC and try to run the application that you couldn’t open before. If the error is gone, you don’t need to perform the next fix. If, however, 0xC0000005 still emerges, we need to find another option to fix the issue this kind of error need to do more troubleshooting to find the exact detail which program caused the error

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Erik

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Erik,

Thank you for the response but I've already tried that - I had changed LoadAppInit_DLLs from 1 to 0, already. It is 0, currently.

An update I could give here is, after reinstalling Citrix several times, it works until I restart it (the program).

Once I close the program or reboot my laptop, it crashes with 0xc0000005 and then I need to reinstall it with some hope that it will work again to use it until I reboot the next time.

Does that help?

Is there a way to know what is causing the problems through some logs? I've tried to search a lot on the internet but didn't find anything that worked.

I also find these now :

Faulting application name: Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost.SettingsApp.exe, version: 1.1.19.4, time stamp: 0x5ed8ba61
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.207, time stamp: 0x1bdbc4b8
Fault offset: 0x000626e7
Faulting process id: 0x40b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d661bf7cb84eef
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Lenovo\iMController\PluginHost86\Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost.SettingsApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 092a623a-e12c-456a-ab0e-352764b4cf28

Faulting application name: CtxWebBrowser.exe, version: 76.1.90.0, time stamp: 0x5dd616fe
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.388, time stamp: 0xa2224bb6
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00129862
Faulting process id: 0x35a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d661bf9489f796
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Browser\CtxWebBrowser.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: ff9c7dd0-1ef0-4e56-9c65-60709858354e

But the KERNELBASE.dll doesn't always come up in Event Viewer. The events I posted in the original post get registered 100s of times in Event Viewer as soon as I open Citrix (and I also see the mouse pointer changing to "working in background" symbol rapidly while the events are registered).

This is what got registered uncountable times when I opened Citrix:

Faulting application name: Receiver.exe, version: 19.11.0.17, time stamp: 0x5dd52712
Faulting process id: 0x297c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d661c0931baa36
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver\Receiver.exe
Report Id: 21516b20-764d-494b-aaf8-3f770844bccc

- Paresh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE

Seems like not installing it from Citrix's Official Website but getting it from the Microsoft Store works.

But now, this welcomes me :

Faulting application name: Zoom.exe, version: 5.1.28656.709, time stamp: 0x5f07d364
Fault offset: 0x45c6b8e2
Faulting process id: 0x27e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6620995da38ba
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Paresh\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin\Zoom.exe
Report Id: a02ec2f9-d247-4e66-804c-70bff742fda8

Is there a way to find out why?

- Paresh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, PareshKalinani

Welcome to the Microsoft Community forums.

You could check the event viewer on your PC and see if there is any detail left about why this has failed to launch. Please can you post what version of Windows 10 you are running?

Regards, 

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Win & Xbox Insider

Give back to the community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nathan,

It's Windows 10 x64 (version 2004) : 19041.388

Even after reinstalling Zoom, it did not work. Then, I installed Zoom while it was running and was already installed. This surprisingly did the trick. I still get the exact same error in event viewer but Zoom somehow works.

However, as an experience, my two weeks with Windows 10 have been bad, I was running Windows 7 on my other PC since it was launched - and it worked absolutely great without a single problem.

I have faced uncountable issues until now, like problems with NVIDIA Drivers, the ntdll.dll error, the 0xc0000005 with unknown faulting module error, the "mail app does not do anything when I try to add an account", the "people app doesn't stop syncing", lots of DCOM errors in the background and random errors of unreferenced memory locations.

It is the 7th or 8th time I've reset my PC now and I have a list of exact steps and precautions to take for myself, or I'll run into problems I can never resolve until I reset again.

Uninstalling my preinstalled AntiVirus has made power hogging processes less and disabling Windows Defender and the built in security is one of them, as it says my official TP-Link Drivers and some other free, non-pirated software as a virus!

Will be posting about any new errors here in this thread, without creating another.

However, I'm surprised to see 90% sites recommending to do sfc /scannow and using the DISM tool, which never (not even once) worked for me.

Waiting for Microsoft to squash all bugs and release a cleaner version!

- Paresh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, Paresh

Thanks for the information. 

It is strange that you are having problems with these downloaded programs. Did Windows 10 come pre-installed on your device, or did you upgrade to Windows 10?

When you have reset the PC, was this the soft reset where you can keep your files?

What make and model is your device?

Regards, 

Give back to the community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nathan,

Windows 10 came preinstalled.

It was Windows 10 Home x64 (v1903) back then. When the Citrix issue started (the 0xc0000005 error), I tried everything mentioned in the first post of this thread, nothing worked. So I googled more and found a Microsoft Update tool which said that an update was available to version 2004. And it did it.

However, after the upgrade, the Citrix problem wasn't solved so I started this thread.

It was never a soft reset - about 3-4 times it was a reset with "Just clean my files" and "Remove everything only from the drive where Windows is located" locally.

And for the other 3 times it was a reset with the exact same settings but via cloud reinstall.

My device : Lenovo S340 15IIL (81WL002RIN)

Let me make it clear - the initial 2-3 days were good without any problem at all. It is after I personalized settings to my heart, some colour corrections in Intel Graphics, installing all the software I had on Windows 7, the citrix problem started.

All the other problems other than the 0xc0000005 may or may not be reproducible but 0xc0000005 is right away there - once I uninstall Microsoft Store's Citrix and install Citrix from it's official website, I'll get 0xc0000005 again. (Not trying this!)

I have finally reset my PC for the last time, installing the software that I had issues with, at the very beginning.

Everything works fine now (on v2004, I cannot go back) except 'Administrative Templates' missing from GPEdit. I know GPEdit is not included in Windows 10 Home so I can ignore this but I remember it was working fine on v1903 and not like this (scary) :

This is scary, "Administrative Templates" is blank and it has too many folders in it (which I know is wrong).
Plus, the menu when I right-click is blank! :

Will this affect the OS?

I think I'd ignore and use Policy Plus or just the Registry Editor.

- Paresh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, Paresh

I did have to ask an MVP and a fellow Mod about this, before replying, just to make sure. 

The answer I got was no, this is the only error you should get. Everything else should work as normal. 

Hope this helps, 

Regards, 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, thanks!

No errors happened for a long time until today when I opened my Lenovo Voltage app:

Faulting application name: Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost.SettingsApp.exe, version: 1.1.19.5, time stamp: 0x5f0bf80e
Fault offset: 0x8d52ffff
Faulting process id: 0x12d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d667fbecf67b1c
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Lenovo\iMController\PluginHost86\Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost.SettingsApp.exe
Report Id: 20613be0-5f53-4118-8c9a-4c84c616f056

At the moment, this is the only app that I'm having a problem with. This got logged about 180 times in the Event Viewer in few minutes.

Reinstalled the app from Microsoft Store and even the Lenovo Voltage Service from the official website, that didn't fix this!

Unfortunately, this time I do not have an option to do System Restore or reset Windows again because I've done a lot of customization and app installations from the Microsoft Store (which I cannot save locally, I'll need to re-download them all!)

Just to check whether my hardware had problems,

- CHKDSK /f /x /r C: does not report any corruption or errors on the disk

- sfc /scannow says there are no violations

- Windows Memory Diagnostic ran, no problems reported after completion

UPDATE: Looks like a bad day today :

Faulting application name: RdrCEF.exe, version: 20.9.20063.54258, time stamp: 0x5eaf3bfb
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.388, time stamp: 0xa2224bb6
Exception code: 0xc06d007e
Fault offset: 0x00129862
Faulting process id: 0x948
Faulting application start time: 0x01d66819567eb4c8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroCEF\RdrCEF.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 45077a4c-be9f-4a73-9685-47cb85f50478

Faulting application name: AcroRd32.exe, version: 20.9.20063.54258, time stamp: 0x5eaf4c6f
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.207, time stamp: 0x1bdbc4b8
Fault offset: 0x000626e7
Faulting process id: 0x398
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6681a1b02d4a3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: ee9fcf76-8bf2-4d37-b338-3a19976d0f9f

UPDATE 2 : Original Post is up to date with the reason of errors and temporary solution.

- Paresh

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 20,788 Applies to: