[SOLVED] Dragon NaturallySpeaking 15.6 Stopped Working After Windows 11 Update

I was lucky enough to have Dragon 15.6 work until this latest update of Windows 11.

It now will not allow state changes meaning the red circle for the microphone will not turn green negating the ability to use the application. Furthermore, when attempting to open the program, it freezes on initializing the user profile. I have been able to get past the initialization only to find all options grayed out and no ability to change state. It also does not show the software's version number on the splash screen when opening the program after the issue occurred.

Attempted:

- uninstalling and reinstalling the software

- open Dragon in all compatibility modes

- open Dragon in and out of administrative modes

- a clean boot

- reset the entire computer and install Dragon by itself before any other programs

Running:

Dragon NaturallySpeaking ver. 15.61.200.010

Windows:

Edition Windows 11 Home

Version 22H2

Installed on ‎8/‎28/‎2022

OS build 22622.586

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

Computer:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Is this relevant?

https://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29800/kw/win11/session/L3RpbWUvMTY2MTkzNjc0Ni9zaWQvZlVnS2NzODVqZFBWUzclN0VUUEY1Q1ExU3NoMjAwWEFiN1psU2F2UE11VGNXVTdaVk5GZXd3NSU3RUFma2tfbWRRVlNIbWZCbThTSW8xTUIxRGI1MFlDX29GaFhnRjQxSWMwZzU5NFd1MGJ1c1U2cmZibDA5MnQzVTBoZyUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

Thank you for the reply.

I came across this link as well. The issue is that the notice mentions possible functionality issues with Full Text Control (FTC) and browser add-ons. My problem is that the entire application does not work at all.

In addition, the notice is a year old (09/27/2021) and since Dragon is now a Microsoft product, I was hoping there would have been a solution for the thousands of disabled users that ultimately depend on the software to use their computers independently.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have run into exactly the same problem trying to run Dragon NS Home 15 on my Surface Pro 7. I reached out to Dragon who, after trying to fix the problem, had me give them my Surface Pro specs and then said the Surface Pro processor was too slow to run Dragon. Nuance's actual email response is pasted below:

"Hi, you may able to have any brand of laptop or desktop as long that devices meets the system requirement for Dragon 15 Home, make sure that the CPU has a minimum of 2.2GHZ of clock speed or greater, and the Physical Memory (RAM) should be 4/8GB of RAm as minimum or greater for better performance. Make sure also that you have more 12gb Free of space from your Hard/Solid State Drive storage before installing Dragon. You may check the link below for references. Thank you

https://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27849/~/system-requirements-for-dragon-15-home"

Interestingly, Dragon did work previously before I installed Windows updates

Anyone have any idea if any of the Surface Pros would meet the above requirements?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to get Dragon NaturallySpeaking 15 to start working again with the latest version of Windows 11 – Version 22H2 OS Build 22622.590.

After communicating with nuance customer support over multiple days, they provided me with the tools that were successful in getting Dragon back up and working for me. Although, I should state that what worked for me was not recommended by them as a solution.

NOTE: I had performed many of the steps multiple times with no success before the following steps worked.

1. Uninstall Dragon

2. Restart computer in clean boot

1. Open Run Prompt type in msconfig and click OK

2. Select Services tab on the System Configuration window

3. Click Hide all Microsoft services on the bottom left of the window

4. Click on Disable all – this disables all non-Microsoft startup services

5. Click on the Startup tab and open up Task Manager

6. Disable all apps that start on Windows startup and exit Task Manager

7. Click Apply and OK on System Configuration window

8. Restart the computer with the prompt on the window that pops up

3. After Windows restarts, open the task icon window at the bottom right and close any apps that may have started up.

4. Nuance provided me with this link to a Dragon 15 Removal Tool: http://supportcontent.nuance.com/dragon/15/DPG_DPI_15_Cleaner.exe

5. Download and run the cleaner

6. After the cleaner is completed, repeat Step 2 to restart in clean boot.

7. Install Dragon

After installing the base Dragon 15 (without updates 15.3 and 15.6), I made sure that it was working properly. I then restarted the computer following Step 2 and updated it to 15.3. Performed the same tasks and restarted the computer again following Step 2 before updating to 15.6.

I then went into the beta channel of Windows Update and updated to the Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22622.590) (KB5017846). This is where all my problems began. After installing the update, Dragon is still working. I am using it to write this post.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 8,988 Applies to: