[SOLVED] "D:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." after windows 10 (64-bit) update 4/8/2021, where D: and E: are on an external USB drive.

After Windows 10 updates KB4023057 and KB4580325 on April 8, 2021, I was no longer able to access the two partitions, D:\ and E:\, on my hard disk in a USB 3 shell connected to my desktop PC.  System and device info follow.

Please tell me there is a way and how to restore the proper access to my drive partitions.  Thank you.

Symptoms & trouble-shooting steps:

• When double-clicking in File Explorer on the D:\ (and E:\) drive Windows 10 displays a dialog box:

|Location is not available  |

|(×)  D:\ is not accessible.|

|       Access is denied.   |

|                      [OK] |

Right-clicking the D:\ and choosing Properties>General displays

Used space:       0 bytes      0 bytes

Free space:       0 bytes      0 bytes

Capacity:         0 bytes      0 bytes

• I connected the USB device to a Windows 10 tablet, but the results were similar. 
  • Back on the desktop PC, I created a new local user account and made it an administrator account also.  That account couldn't access the partitions.
  • I went back to my regular account and ran Power Shell (as Administrator)

I was able to see the directories in Power Shell and navigate the contents.  

[edit:  Don't do this.]  I found a kind of a work-around script called Take-Ownership to change the ownership of the contents.  It has been running over an hour...  

In Power Shell I check the Access Control Lists for the three drives, C: (which works normally), D: (being Take-Ownership'd), and E: (as is).

PS C:\> get-acl "C:\"

Directory:
Path Owner Access
---- ----- ------
C:\ NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users Allow AppendData...
PS C:\>

D: while running Take-Ownership on D:

PS D:\> get-acl "D:\"

Directory:
Path Owner Access
---- ----- ------
D:\ VIVO\Jon NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Allow FullControl...

Since the name of the PC and my local account on it appears in the access control list, probably I will have to do something so I can access it from another PC (my tablet).

PS E:\> get-acl "E:\"

Directory:
Path Owner Access
---- ----- ------
E:\ BUILTIN\Administrators NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Allow FullControl...

This allows me to browse images on the C:, D:, and E: drives,

PS E:\> C:\"Program Files"\IrfanView\i_view64.exe

but

PS E:\> C:\Windows\explorer.exe

does not allow me to access the folder E:\ in the explorer file manager.

System information
Device name Vivo
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1007U @ 1.50GHz   1.50 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB

Device ID 6237A99E-67A0-4004-83CB-467B810C3859

Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA099

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Windows specifications

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ?4/?8/?2021

OS build 19042.928

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

The hard drive shell is a Purex USB 3.0 PXE-U3PD/S

UPC 8-18111-01052-4

The Take-Ownership tool is from https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html 

It's still running well over an hour later.  There has to be a better fix.

In Power Shell 

PS E:\> help set-acl

has a link to https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=113389

That looks hopeful, but I have a way to go to understand it.

[edit] Solution follows

Hi Jonathan. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor.

Have you enabled the built-in hidden Administrator which is to be used only in emergencies to create a new Admin user account to test for user corruption, and if so replace the old account - then hide the built-in administrator again?

I'll give you all possible fixes for External Drive not detected. Even if you've tried one please try it again in sequence and report back results. I'll be standing by to help you here:

Right click Start button to open Disk Management, scroll down to try to find the drive on the map by size and label, right click on it to assign a drive letter so it's detected in File Explorer.

For USB drive not detected issue, first try steps here: https://mspoweruser.com/solved-usb-device-not-r...

Go into Device Manager to look for the drive under Disk Drives. It may be listed by it's model or Serial which you can google to determine which is it. Click on the Device, then Driver tab, choose Roll Back if available. If not then choose Uninstall, restart PC to reinstall driver. If that fails choose Update Driver, first Automatically, then if that fails choose Browse > Let Me Pick to try all previous drivers.

If no newer or this doesn't help, then go to the USB category in Device Manager, open each Enhanced, Hub and Host controller, from Driver tab select Roll back if available, or if not choose Uninstall.

If your keyboard and mouse are USB, first program the power button to effect the needed restart after Rolling back or uninstalling the driver. Go to Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Choose what Power buttons do to choose Shutdown.

Test the drive using diagnostics to know for sure it's condition: https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testin...
Follow this up with a DIsk Check from the Command Prompt if necessary: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/check-hard-dri...

You can check which Updates were installed just before this happened, then uninstall them at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Installed Update History - look first for installed drivers. Then you can hide these Updates using the Hide Updates tool: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-s...

You can also try to System Restore to a point before this happened, then check for Updates using the Hide Updates Tool to block the Updates offered: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-t...

Check if the drive is detected in another PC. If so back up the data to it's desktop.
Then plug it back into the PC which cannot detect it, reformat in Disk Management:
http://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-External-Hard-...

If nothing works you can try file Recovery starting with Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Greg, 

Thank you for replying.  I took a fresh look after reading your suggestions.

This isn't a case of an external drive not being detected.  

I should note that I could not access the D:\ partition root directory normally through the File Explorer (even starting it with a right-click and run as Administrator).  However, with the regular File Explorer (my account is an Administrator) I can type in any first level subdirectory and access that, e.g. D:\Temp and E:\Temp.  I could not access the root directory. I could use Notepad with normal privileges to open a file for which I know the filename that is in the root directory of the partition (I can know that filename from seeing it in Power Shell).

The main partitions on the disk in the USB shell are D: and E:. Running Computer Management (normally) they appear in Disk Manager and are labeled appropriately.  The Properties dialog boxes show the amount of disk used and space available, unlike the  properties dialog from the File Explorer.

I started to go through your suggestion to changing drive letter D: to P:, but there

were messages: 

/!\ some programs that rely on drive letters might not run correcty.  Do you want to continue?  Yes.

next dialog:

The volume <volume_label> (D:) Simple Volume is currently in use.  If you continue, the new drive letter will be assigned, but you can still use the old drive letter to access the volume until you restart your computer. The old drive letter will not be available for assignment until you restart.

WARNING:  Changing the drive letter of a volume might cause programs to no longer run.  Do you want to continue?

No, not yet.  Unmounting and remounting the drive physically didn't work, so I don't think doing it logically by changing the drive letter will work either.

However, I have Cygwin on this machine.  I notice in the regular cygwin shell, I see

Jon@Vivo /cygdrive

Jon@Vivo /cygdrive

$ ls -la

total 16

dr-xr-xrx   1 Jon                          None      0 May  3 20:29 .

drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Jon                          None      0 Nov 25  2017 ..

d---r-x---+ 1 NT SERVICE+TrustedInstaller  NT SERVICE+TrustedInstaller

0 May  2 17:01 c

Jon@Vivo /cygdrive

and when right-clicking and running a cygwin shell as Administrator I see:

Jon@Vivo /cygdrive

$ ls -la

total 32

dr-xr-xr-x  1 Jon                           None     0 May  3 20:28 .

drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Jon                           None     0 Nov 25  2017 ..

d---r-x---+ 1 NT SERVICE+TrustedInstaller   NT SERVICE+TrustedInstaller 

0 May  2 17:01 c

drwxrwx---+ 1 Jon                           SYSTEM   0 May  3 20:10 d

drwxrwx---  1 Administrators                SYSTEM   0 May  2 17:00 e

Jon@Vivo /cygdrive

$

I thought that changing these permissions might help, but it turned out these permissions were unaffected by the fix.

I looked at the groups

Jon@Vivo /cygdrive

$ groups Administrators

Administrators : Administrators Authenticated Users

Jon@Vivo /cygdrive

$ groups None

None : None Authenticated Users

Jon@Vivo /cygdrive

$ groups "NT SERVICE+TrustedInstaller"

NT SERVICE+TrustedInstaller : NT SERVICE+TrustedInstaller Authenticated Users

The fix:  

I plugged in another USB shell with a drive, one that works properly.  I right-clicked on the newly attached G: drive and looked in the Properties dialog at the Security tab.  It lists groups Authenticated Users, SYSTEM, Administrators (VIVO\Administrators), and Users (VIVO\Users), where VIVO is the host name of my computer.  Others should substitute their own host's name.

The process for D: may have been affected by running Take Ownership.  I only ran Take Ownership on the D: drive, so readers others may want to look at the process on drive E: below to save time.  I did not run Take Ownership on E:.  It took  a long time to run on D:.

When I right-clicked on the D: drive for the Properties dialog box, the Security Tab only had SYSTEM and Administrators (VIVO\Administrators).  Also, the permissions did not show all the checkmarks as G: had.  So, I decided to try to edit the permissions so D: would match permissions for G:.

In the working drive G:,  SYSTEM had permissions checked under Allow: {Full control, Read &execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write}.

The drive D: didn't.  So, I tried to set them.  It didn't seem to work, so I thought maybe I should set the Administrators settings first. 

At some point I did add VIVO\Jon, my own account which is in Administrators.  That shouldn't be necessary, but users can try that.  I removed it later since the Administrators group permissions are passed on to members of the group, and my account is a member of the group.

On the working drive G:, the Administrators (VIVO\Administrators) group had Allow checked for all permissions except the special permissions:  It had checked {Full control, Modify, Read &execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write}, so that's what to match on drive D:.  I chose Continue at the error dialog and continued clicking Continue many times.  At one point when I thought I was done, the Apply button was still active, so I clicked Apply and continued.  Then when the Apply button was no longer active, I clicked OK, and closed the dialog box. 

I continued and added Authenticated Users so that group would have the permissions of {Modify, Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write}, as G: had for that group.  (The C: drive does not have the same permissions for the groups.) 

I saw that SYSTEM had permissions showing as check marked: {Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, list folder contents, Read, and Write (but not Special Permissions}} as was showing for Administrators.  So D: matched G: for SYSTEM.

I was then able to see the drive space used and space free in File Manager for drive D:.  I reopened the Properties Dialog for D: and continued matching the working set of permissions on drive G:.

The last group to add was Users (VIVO\Users) so it would have the permissions on D: for Read & Execute, List folder contents, and Read.

(At this point I removed the VIVO\Jon entry because it is covered by VIVO\Administrators.

I double-checked the permissions.  I checked permissions on C:.  They differed.  On C:, Authenticated Users has only special permissions.  All the other groups on C: should match the permissions on drive G:

Administrators (VIVO\Administrators) has check marked:  Full control, Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write.  Special permissions is not check marked.

SYSTEM also has check marked:  Full control, Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write.  Special permissions is not check marked.

Users (VIVO\Users) has three permissions check marked:

Read & execute, List folder contents, and Read.

For drive E:,  I repeated the process used for D:. and it went back to normal in File Explorer too.  The process was a little different, probably because I hadn't run Take Ownership.  It was much faster.

Right-click the drive to get the Properties dialog.  Go to the Security tab and click the Advanced button.   It said Owner:  Unable to display current owner.  On the Permissions tab, click Continue.  I checked working drive G: for comparison.

On E:, start by highlighting the Administrators (VIVO\Administrators) group, and click Edit.  If necessary, click Select a principal.  Choose Type Allow, and Applies to:  This folder, subfolders, and files.  Choose Full control, Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write.  Click OK.

Repeat for SYSTEM.

Then select Add, Select a principal, type Authenticated Users, click Check Names, click OK.  Go back to Authenticated Users and click Modify. The Write box gets a check mark too.  The type is Allow, and the Applies to: is This folder, subfolders, and files.  The permissions for Authenticated Users are:  Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, and Write.

Click Add, Select a principal, Enter VIVO\Users, (replacing VIVO with your host name) . Click Check Names, OK.  Make sure Read & execute, List folder contents, and Read are checked.  Click OK.

I checked the permissions against the permissions on G:.

In the Advanced permissions tab, G:\ shows:

Allow, Administrators (VIVO\Administrators, Full control, None, This folder, subfolders and files.

Allow, SYSTEM, Full control, None, This folder, subfolders and files.

Allow, Authenticated Users, Modify, None, This folder, subfolders and files.

Allow, Users (VIVO\Users), Read & execute, None, This folder, subfolders and files.

Match this, click Apply and Continue each time needed, and finish up with OK to close the dialog box.  Reopen the drive's Properties Dialog box to the Security tab and double check.

The File Explorer now shows the information for drive E:.

What about drive C:?

The permissions were different.  I was able to compare with my Windows 10 tablet.

Right-click drive C:  Choose Properties. Choose the Security Tab.

Look at the Administrators group first. Full Control through Write. That matches.

Look at the SYSTEM group/user. Full Control through Write. That matches.

Look at the Authenticated Users. That says Special Permissions only. That matches.

The Users (VIVO\Users) group shows Read & Execute, List folder contents, and Read.

Finally, I've got normal access back for those partitions.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"The volume Windows (D:) ('Windows' because it was a system drive before I got the larger drive) currently in use.)"

Why wasn't this drive properly wiped with at least DIskpart Clean Command before reformatting it as a data drive? It is NEVER correct to leave old System partitions on data drives as they will always come back to bite you and interfere in multiple unexpected ways.

If you'd like I can look over a screenshot of Disk Management, which I read like a doctor reads X-rays. Follow the steps here so I can see everything needed to advise you: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/foru...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I apologize for the confusion.  I have edited out 'Windows' and replaced it with <volume_label> where I typed the message from the dialog box.

I continued to use the 'Data E:' drive partition to store data on occasions.  I don't always have that drive connected, but I did on the day the updates ran.  After the problem occurred, I disconnected it for a couple weeks before getting back to the problem of finding a fix.  Having a system partition on this  second drive should not have been a factor in the problem because sometimes people make their computers dual boot. 

Why did I not reformat the disk?  I had data on it.  I preserved the structure.  I should be able to swap the drive back in and have it work as it did before.  I realize the Take Ownership step may have affected that ability.  I'll have to check that, but at least I have the more immediate problem solved...  and my internet service went down so I'll have to wait even to post this...

Thank you for the offer, but Disk Management just shows its structure as a disk set up for the little square ASUS VIVO PC VM40B that it came with.  The VM40B has space for a single 3.5" physical hard disk.  It has the Windows D: and Data E: partitions mentioned and the EFI and recovery partitions.  My other USB 2.0 drive , G:, is a 3.5" physical disk in a USB shell, and you may be happy that I had that set up with a single NTFS primary partition.   The current system disk in the little PC has the system reserved and recovery partitions and the one NTFS C: partition.

Still waiting for internet ...   

This is why one still should have local resources.

I took a break and in another twenty minutes the internet service was working again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would plug the external into a PC which can read it and move the data off now to a folder on the desktop, then wipe it with Clean Command to reformat properly as a data drive:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85819-erase...
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-format-new-h...

Again, it is never correct to leave System Partitions on a data drive. If you were configuring a independent Dual Boot then it would need to be with another internal hard drive, never an external drive. It will always cause problems later if you leave System partitions because there is data there that should have been removed to clean and reformat the drive.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 40,462 Applies to: