Slow/freeze desktop, then won't boot, no fixes seem to work - now sfc scan problem

Ok so, my computer problems have been compounding one on top of each other. So I'll start with the first problem:

I had my laptop connected to my tv w/ an hdmi chord and I'm pretty sure it overheated so it crashed, I tried to turn it on a little bit later once I thought it had cooled down, it didn't, so I just switched to something else. The next day I turn on my comp. and it seems to load longer than usual, once my desktop loaded up, absolutely everything is incredibly slow, I was having problems w/ the taskbar and it was the first to freeze up, I couldn't even soft shutdown through the Start button and so I had to hard shut it down. Turn the comp. back on, problem persists, slow startup and restart, slow desktop, constant freezing of everything. So I kept trying to fix it doing different ways, chkdsk, sfc /scannow, it all took way too long or just froze up, or like sfc wouldn't start on the restart, but everything was taking absolutely forever. I tried system restore but got some registry error message. After several restarts I also noticed my wifi would not recognize my wireless network, it just shows it as a disconnected lan.

Then after several days of attempted fixing and hard shutdowns, crashes, I think I finally go to the point where it just wouldn't even boot, luckily I was able to get my hands on a windows cd and boot it back up into safe mode I think, but comp. crashed enough so I wasn't and still not able to boot it back up again. Using the cd I got into the advanced startup options and tried startup repair, I read doing it three times is best, I did, found nothing. I've been doing chkdsk /r C: for the last couple of days 3 times now. Tried running sfc /scannow, but keep getting error message, "There is a system repair pending, please reboot", I did reboot, still same error message. Went through google for help, tried to delete, move, rename the pending.xml file, always says file not found. The one time I was able to get sfc to work was w/ sfc /scannow /windirboot="C:" . . .  something like that, don't remember exactly, then got the error message, "found corrupt registry errors, not able to fix, error message is in cbs.log", but obviously I can't read cbs.log because I can't even get into safe mode. I've attempted scanreg /autorun, and /fix, neither worked, don't quite remember the error message. I've even attempted bootrec.exe /FixMBR, found no errors. I did finally have one breakthrough, I wanted to see if the chkdsk worked and fixed my boot, it did! Was able to boot into regular windows, all seemed fine except my wifi and then restarted into safe mode, restarted again but then proceeded to not even boot again, had to even change the boot order in the bios to cd/dvd to be able to boot again.

So yea, I think I'm at the end of my IT knowledge and I think the only option left is to set it back to factory settings, I was able when I was in safe mode to backup a good amount of stuff, but not everything, so don't really think that's an option so when I get a new comp., I'll just connect the HDD from this laptop to my new comp. and backup what's left. So is there anything else I can do? I'm going to try to run sfc /scannow again, boot again into safe mode and see if I can get more stuff off, and also see if I can run the system restore now.

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A665.

Thanks for the help and for reading.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community forum. Sorry, to know that you are facing this issue. Since you have tried all the troubleshooting steps and SFC scan doesn’t work. Instead of factory restore, I would suggest you to try performing In-place upgrade.

Performing a repair (in-Place) installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

If you have already performed the emergency repair process and the computer still does not operate normally, you may want to do a repair/in-place upgrade of the existing installation.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Note: I highly recommend backing up all of your important files and folders onto an external storage device before attempting any type of OS repair or upgrade.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply, the only thing is that the disc w/ windows on it that I'm booting off of isn't from my own computer, it's from another, both computers have W7 though, does it matter? So this doesn't delete files, programs, etc., right?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like the hard-drive may be about to go out. I'd backup everything to a SSD drive & install it into your laptop. Should run faster with a solid state drive anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HDD still seems to be working, I think it is going but running chkdsk /r on it now and hasn't found a corrupted file yet. I'm not able to get into safe mode since it can't boot (at least as of right now), so I can't back anything up, so any fixes to how I can boot it back up? I may not be able to install anything as I don't think it's the kind of laptop to do that, but as I said if I am able to, I will connect this HDD to my new comp. and back up what's left there, if I am able to do this, right? I'm also having registry problems as well as probably OS problems, so that's an issue too.       

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Chkdsk just finished, apparently didn't have to fix any files. So is there any fix for sfc /scannow message, "system repair pending, please reboot"?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good news, was able to boot back into normal windows, twice, speed seemed fine, nothing froze/crashed, going to boot into safe mode to start to backup what's left.

Attempted to run sfc /scannow to fix, but get error message, "windows resource could not perform the requested operation". I felt this was specific enough problem so I'm going to post the cbs.log. So can anyone tell what's wrong? It's in the linked file download:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ttt437

Also, can't do system restore anymore, lost restore points.

Thanks for the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can anyone help me out w/ this cbs log?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the issue and please do accept my apologies for late response.

I would suggest you to refer to the section How to manually replace a corrupted system file with a known good copy of the file from this article.

Please do let us know the result, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2021 Views 4,791 Applies to: