slow login after updating windows 10 to version 1511

After upgrade to the latest build of windows 10 my login takes 20-30 sec about 3 times what the pc takes to get to this screen I have look it up on the internet and it seems to be a common problem. the 2 fixes I came across consisted of

(1) I’ve had this problem on 3 computers. The wirelessly connected ones were the worst offenders with 20-30 sec, whereas the wired one only waited for 2-3 sec. All of them using local accounts. Digging around, the solution that worked for me was to create a new local account ( Win+R → “control userpasswords2” ). Create a new account and make sure to give it admin privileges (left it as user on one computer and it didn’t work). Right click on the Start button, sign out, sign in to the new user and let it do it’s “Lets get started” thing. Sign out. Now feel free to delete the new account. This solved the issue for me in all 3 instances. 1-2 seconds login for the wireless ones and instant login for the faster, wired one.

(2) disabling the autohide from the taskbar.

the first one didn't work from a fresh boot and was still taking 20-30 sec the second one appears to be working atm and is taking 1-2 secs to get in, I've posted this because I also read that this fix works for a while ie 7-8 logins and then goes back to slow I don't recall this issue before the update.  If anyone has a long term fix can you pls post it. I notice when I typed in "control userpasswords2" it shows my username twice once as HomeUser and a second time as HomeUser, Administrator; Users is this normal ?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the issue that you are currently facing, we will try the best we can to resolve your issue.

Install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps.  Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Please Share this information to assist you better.

1. Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that resolves the issue.

Step 1: Perform a Clean Boot.

A clean boot is a troubleshooting technique that allows you to get the computer up and running so that you can perform diagnostic tests to determine which elements of the normal boot process are causing problems.

Follow the link below to do clean boot.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135.

Disclaimer: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

Step 2: Please follow the steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer:

1. Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
3. Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

4. Click on System Maintenance option.
5. Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

have done the above

The first question of 1. Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue? apart from update to version 1511 of windows 10 and installing windows updates, nope.

I re-enable the auto hide on taskbar and rebooted and the login screen return to its 20-30 sec wait :( I then followed the above instructions. The clean boot instruction aren't for windows 10 so followed 8 8.1 instructions first login was quick on second reboot was again 20-30 secs. I then reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot. Still 20-30 sec login. Followed step 2 and the troubleshooter didn't find any problems, will disable auto-hide on taskbar again for quick logins for now and look forward to a better solution than this short time fix

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to add to the topic: Googling/binging "windows 10 1511 slow logon" will show that many other people experience the same problem (http://www.askwoody.com/2015/windows-10-1511-slow-login/) and there is even a video of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQu-gg59Kes)

As Derek Hudson posted: The only thing that cures the problem permanently is to disable the Auto-Hide of the taskbar. The problem first appears after updating Windows 10 to the 1511 build. The problem still persists with an up-to-date system (as of 25th of december 2015) and appears whenever the Auto-Hide of the taskbar is again enabled.

Following the suggested steps (Clean Boot and running of the System Maintenance Troubleshooter) from Suvarna Govinda didn't solve the problem for me neither.

Come on Microsoft - please fix that annoying bug already.

70 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your reply and update.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please answer the below question to resolve your issue.

1. Have you updated all the device drivers in the Computer?
2. Have you installed any 3rd party anti-virus Software in the Computer?

Based on the information provided by you, it seems that the display drivers are major cause for this issue. Hence, I would suggest you update the drivers from Device Manager and check if it helps. You may also download and install the latest drivers for Windows 10 from Manufacturer website if available. Refer to this article

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Refer to the following articles as well:

Security & privacy
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/security-privacy

Repair & recovery
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/repair-recovery

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll add on to this topic.

The problem only occurs with the taskbar set to autohide.

It is unrelated to hardware, drivers, or really anything else, BUT Windows.

It only started becoming an issue after 1511 was rushed out of the insider program in a very unstable state. I actually have to disable driver updates that go through Windows due to Win10 Pro wanting to install a driver that corrupts itself (literally have had it corrupt within 10 minutes of a clean install due to the backwards approach to forcibly installing updates) to the point that even removing said driver doesn't fix that issue, but that is unrelated to the long boot times, and is a completely separate matter.

This is also easily replicated on a clean install; unrelated to 3rd party software.

I always keep my software up to date, it isn't my hardware, and, as stated above, only became an issue once Microsoft pushed 1511 out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here, did a clean install before installing 1511, and now log in time is over 20 sec if taskbar set to autohide. All drivers up to date and no antivirus.

Before 1511 no problems at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Time to solve this now, still not fixed.

Same problem here, did a clean install before installing 1511, and now log in time is over 20 sec if taskbar set to autohide. All drivers up to date and no antivirus.

Before 1511 no problems at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Typical Microsoft lack of attention to a real problem that users are facing. They have ignored this thread for two weeks now - is there any way of telling if it's a dead thread or whether support are still bothering with it? Is there any way of bumping an old thread that they are ignoring?

Everyone is right in saying that this problem only occurs once update 1511 is installed. I carried out a completely clean Windows Reset and the problem went away, only to reoccur once the updates had downloaded and reinstalled.

I only have Windows Defender running, currently, with no additional anti-virus software. Using Windows 10 Pro.

I do not believe that it is a graphics driver issue. I have read a lot about problems with AMD drivers but I am using a simple Intel HD 3000 setup on a notebook, with the latest drivers installed.

Even going to the lock screen (WIndows Key + L) and logging back in immediately would result in a minute's delay. Therefore, this is not a driver issue, as no drivers are reloaded if you simply lock your screen and log back in.

Some users elsewhere have fixed this problem by disabling the auto-hide feature on the task bar, or creating a new admin user account, logging into it, logging out, rebooting and deleting the new admin account. Neither of these worked for me.

I used the Windows assessment tool and found that the delays were always caused by the logon process. (Unfortunately I don't have the technical name of the process as I have subsequently reset my machine again). It appears that the logon process is waiting for a response until it times out, which takes about a minute. I disabled all sorts of domain logon functions in settings and in regedit, with no luck. 

Eventually, I reset Windows again, making sure that I selected the "I own it" option rather than the business option (although I assume I had chosen this previously) and declining all online options such as feedback, sending info to Microsoft, etc. Update 1511 has installed and, currently, my logins are instant. 

I'm sorry I can't give an exact explanation of why this has worked or what the problem was. If I could, I would work for Microsoft Technical Support. However, I'm pretty convinced that it is a domain controller or DNS issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is still a problem and it only appeared after the update, it wasn't there before. The update is the problem, not our other software, computers or whatever. I refuse to "fix" it by disabling auto-hide, I want the taskbar to auto-hide.

Please, Microsoft, stop evading the issue. It's a huge deal breaker for me, I didn't buy an SSD drive to log in for 30 seconds.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

... I experienced the same strange logon-event with about 30-60 sec duration after updating to 1511.

That's not why I use a pretty fast SSD for my OS!

But only on my user-profile, not on my admin-profile.

Some workarounds relating to the hybrid-boot and quick shut down-option didn't solve it for more than one restart.

After reading this thread, I realized, that my admin-profile doesn't use an auto-hidden taskbar, while my user-profile does (I need every inch on my screen!).

I am convinced, that this is actually the issue, I am currently unhide my taskbar and expect it "worked around".

But this is NO FIX, so some real fix on Microsofts side would be really appreciated. This is the first time I started to regret upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 9, 2021 Views 43,564 Applies to: