sketchpad

I got a computer yesterday and I was loving the sketchpad. I was going to continue my drawing today, but the computer said it had some updates so I updated it. After the update the sketchpad is gone and I'm very upset about it. What happened?

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 424 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ashlynn

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

The sketchpad in Windows Ink feature is a blank slate for you to draw whatever you want. Any sketchpad drawing you create is saved as a PNG file. Currently, there is no option to search just for a sketchpad drawing or a way to recover sketchpad drawings that were not saved.

We recommend saving the file on a specific folder on your computer to help organize your sketchpad drawings.

Did you look in the Pictures folder if it might be there.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the drawing saved but the actual sketch pad that's normally under the windows ink workspace on the bottom left disappeared after the update, as if it never existed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am currently running Windows 10 1903 and I noticed the original Sketchpad has been replaced by an app called Whiteboard.

See below, the original Sketchpad in Windows 10 1803, now replaced by Whiteboard in 1903.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah it has whiteboard but its not completly like sketchpad. The pen doesnt make as thin of lines, even on the smallest settings and the erase doesnt have a option for the lines like sketch pad did. So now i have a unfinished drawing i cant finish really.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ashlynn

Sorry the improvements are not to your liking.

I would also recommend you submit a feature request; send me the short link so I can vote on it and bring it to the attention of the Windows engineers.

https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/54-how-to-su...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Sorry this didn't help.

Whiteboard blows compared to Sketchpad before the "update" downgrade. I could care less about collaboration with whiteboard. The pressure settings and tilt functionality of the pen and surface are one reason I bought it. With Whiteboard, the tilt capability is gone and the pressure sensitivity reduced. Another great MS update... <--SARCASM

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is completely unacceptable. The reason that I bought a Surface Studio, well..no TWO Surface Studios was because of this incredibly great feature called Windows Ink Sketchpad. Now I have a horrible replacement that will serve a conference room well during a meeting of salespeople, and is the most clunky and basic of things you could of devised. Why did Microsoft do this? What were they thinking? 

I am getting tired of being the Microsoft cheerleader for things they invent and then they take away. Windows phone gone, Music gone, now a simple and fantastic tool that actually makes my creative life better. Now I have a "Whiteboard". 

You better get your people's heads together and figure out a way to restore what was a main selling point of a Surface Studio back, or at least offer it as an app. I COULD CARE LESS about the fact I can collaborate. Collaborate what? Idiotic whiteboard musings?

NOT HAPPY.   

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It’s because the leadership at microsoft has no clue of what actually happens in their organization, they don’t actually care about their customers (people who waste their money to keep these people employed), and/or there are too many good idea fairies at microsoft that are able to run amuck and implement change for the sale of change itself! Whiteboard = garbage for the majority of users, who dont sit in a conference room somewhere pretending to collaborate on surface tablets. I worked many conferences and we NEVER had a surface ANYTHING in use. In fact, we had dedicated smart boards and other collaborative systems that were NOT microsoft! I bet not even microsoft uses them! In typical fashion, microaoft comes up with something sort of nice or unique and then pulls a bait-and-switch on the buyer. That’s sort of illegal in the real world isn’t it? I’m surprised microsoft doesn’t sell its products out of an old white van with “free candy and microsoft products” sloppily painted on its side!

Sorry this didn't help.

How jard would it be for microsoft to pit the ink version of sketchpad back or offer it in the store? Getting rid of it will never migrate me to whiteboard; it only makes me despise whichever idiot approved the change! Until then, I will have uninstalled the KB##### that made the downgrade.

Sorry this didn't help.

Don’t call a completely hijacked change an “improvement!” Improvements actually improve something that already exists. It doesn’t delete something and put something with a completely different purpose in its place. That’s called a replacement, which in this case is WORSE!

Sorry this didn't help.