Should I enable bitlocker or not

So I wanted to enable BitLocker but people like my uncle who has experience with computers and other people think it's a bad idea

but I'm the type of guy who would want to protect my computer. So I need help if I should enable BitLocker or not.

Hi, thanks for reaching out! Please allow me to assist you.

Bitlocker is a volume encryption feature and this protects your data by encryption in case your physical disk or computer is lost (especially for laptops). It does not impact performance too in modern computers. Thus, I would recommend turning on BitLocker.

When you decide to turn it on, make sure you backup your Bitlocker recovery key during activation. You will need the recovery key in instances, like when you change your motherboard or updating firmware without suspending protection.

https://support.microsoft.com/windows/finding-y...

Please let me know if I can help you further!
Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indication if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for helping me currently I’m using windows insider. And thanks to you I will turn on BitLocker when windows 11 officially comes out thank you for your help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But! I might not know what to do when changing firmware and motherboard.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You will need to suspend BitLocker protection when you update firmware. In Windows 10, it is in Control Panel > System and Security > BitLocker Drive Encryption > Suspend protection.

If you want are changing your motherboard, you will need BitLocker recovery key. Therefore, it is important that you keep the recovery key safe and accessible by you.

Please let me know if I can help you further!
Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indication if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a personal choice. I don't use BitLocker and don't recommend it.

It's important to fully understand what BitLocker is and how to use it correctly. It's also important to understand the limitations that BitLocker introduces. If you make a mistake with BitLocker, you can permanently lose access to your files.

If you routinely store government secrets on your computer, BitLocker can be worthwhile. Otherwise, a strong password for your user account provides all the protection you need.

If there are individual files that you must give extra protection, here are two solutions that are better than BitLocker:

1- Compress the files and password-protect the archive with a strong password.

2- Create an encrypted folder to hold your most sensitive files and folders with third-party encryption like Cryptainer.

163 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 33,190 Applies to: