Should I be able to run update 21H2 on my Windows 10 PC?

My Synology RT6600ax router with Threat Prevention is blocking a couple of things when the Windows 10 update 21H2 is trying to be applied.  What it sees coming into the PC is:

ET EXPLOIT Possible CVE-2016-2211 Symantec Cab Parsing Buffer Overflow

drop http $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ET EXPLOIT Possible CVE-2016-2211 Symantec Cab Parsing Buffer Overflow"; flow:established,from_server; file_data; content:"|4d 53 43 46|"; depth:4; byte_jump:4,8,little; isdataat:1; reference:cve,2016-2211; reference:cve,CVE-2014-9732; reference:url,bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=823&q=; classtype:trojan-activity; sid:4346292; rev:1; metadata:created_at 2016_06_30, updated_at 2016_06_30;)

and:

ET POLICY ZIP file download

drop tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ET POLICY ZIP file download"; flow: established; content:"PK|0304|"; byte_test:1, <=, 0x14, 0, string, hex; content:"|00 00 00|"; distance: 0; reference:url,zziplib.sourceforge.net/zzip-parse.print.html; reference:url,doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/2000428; classtype:misc-activity; sid:4352392; rev:1; metadata:created_at 2010_07_30, updated_at 2010_07_30;)

and going out from PC is:

ET USER_AGENTS Microsoft Device Metadata Retrieval Client User-Agent

drop http $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"ET USER_AGENTS Microsoft Device Metadata Retrieval Client User-Agent"; flow:established,to_server; http.user_agent; content:"MICROSOFT_DEVICE_METADATA_RETRIEVAL_CLIENT"; depth:42; endswith; nocase; fast_pattern; classtype:misc-activity; sid:4352590; rev:1; metadata:affected_product Web_Browsers, attack_target Client_Endpoint, created_at 2019_05_28, deployment Perimeter, former_category USER_AGENTS, performance_impact Low, signature_severity Informational, updated_at 2020_09_17;)

I'm guessing that the Cab file is probably all right?  Or has it actually been determined that it isn't just a Cab, but one with a buffer overflow exploit?  Maybe "possible" means that it is just a Cab?

And I'm guessing that the Zip warning is again just happening because it is a zip and maybe Microsoft tried switching to a zip since the Cab didn't make it to the PC.

No idea what the USER_AGENTS one is about.  Maybe it wouldn't happen if the other 2 weren't blocked?

Anybody have any ideas? (I know this is really a Synology issue and I've posted the same question over there, but I thought someone might have had similar issues with a different router or be familiar with these threats)

Hi, I'm Elise, and I'd be happy to help with your issue.

It is likely a false positive entry that is similar to a different attack vector, usually these types of protection software will receive an update which will resolve the issue and prevent this being flagged quite shortly.

Kind Regards,
Elise

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I opened up the Symantec cab exploit one temporarily and it was able to update. Then I allowed it to be blocked again. Hopefully it really was a false positive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2023 Views 134 Applies to: