Share laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to PC

I'd like to share my laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to my PC.

However, it appears that once I plug in the cable to the laptop, instead of sharing, it makes it so even the laptop will not have WiFi. It will not let me get WiFi back on the laptop, unless unplug the cable, and disable/enable the WiFi adapter.

I have tried just sharing the connection, as well as bridging the connections.

Both laptop and PC are running Windows 10.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Scott. I'm Greg, here to help you with this.

Here's how to share Wifi internet to another PC over ethernet cable:

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-share-Inte...

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/share-inter...

https://blog.rottenwifi.com/how-to-share-wifi-o...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_Irr5VZJ8

One of those should work.

Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have stated already that I have tried these ways.

Once I do, the laptop loses connection to the WiFi, and can't turn it on again until disconnect the cable.

Please read the posts fully before go through the trouble of posting what has already been done.

This will save all some time.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Scott -

There were over a dozens steps to try in the tutorials I gave you . Where did you say you had tried all of those ways?

Obviously some of the tutorials duplicate things you said you tried, but they also have steps that you did not say you tried. Did you miss those?

Please go back and work through all steps and report back results as requested. I'll then know what to suggest next.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a computer technician, and if I state I have tried something, then yes, I have tried it.

I've been trying to get this done for over a month of trying different things, to no avail.

It appears that when I hook them up with the cable, the laptop goes as if trying to connect to the net from the PC, even though the PC has no connection. So when the laptop does that, it makes where the WiFi disconnects and will not allow me to turn it back on until unplug the ethernet cable.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In that case you've tried everything there is. Is it possible you could use a USB wifi adapter on the PC? Some good ones are quite affordable, like here:

https://www.amazon.com/OURLiNK-600Mbps-Wireless...

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-WiFi-Adapte...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5PRK7J/ref=sspa_d...

If you want to report this to report this bug to Microsoft you may be able to help improve this product/experience by using the Feedback Hub in Start Menu, especially if you are willing to share logs and other requested information. While they will probably not see this here in the forums, Microsoft developers DO read feedback from customers that comes in via the Feedback Hub, so that is a great way to share your thoughts on how to better serve you as a customer.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back, I will have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ScottJB9276,

if your laptop has a LAN port, in my opinion you need to configure Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and not Network Bridge to get what you want.

Disable Network Bridge, right click WiFi connection > Properties > Sharing tab, enable ICS. Next, make sure that Shared appears on the WiFi connection icon. Then connect the network cable coming from the laptop to your ethernet client device.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had stated that I had tried this way, as well.

However, it appears that once I plug in the cable to the laptop, instead of sharing, it makes it so even the laptop will not have WiFi. It will not let me get WiFi back on the laptop, unless unplug the cable, and disable/enable the WiFi adapter.

This is what the issue is. No matter what way try, once plug the cable into the laptop, no WiFi on it, either. Have to basically reset the WiFi network after unplug the cable.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where is it that you wrote that you have already tried to share the internet connection via ICS? Show me where you wrote it or where you specified it, I can't find it written anywhere.

In any case, if you configure the Network Bridge on the laptop, it is normal that you cannot then use the laptop to connect to the Internet via WiFi as it is not possible to use the same device on which the Network Bridge is configured to access to the internet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If bridge connection, I can't use anything to connect, as when I plug in the cable, it disconnects the laptop from WiFi, and won't let me reconnect, until unplug the cable. I get the same results either way try to share WiFi, ICS or bridging. Once I plug in the cable to the laptop, instead of sharing, it makes it so even the laptop will not have WiFi. It will not let me get WiFi back on the laptop, unless unplug the cable, and disable/enable the WiFi adapter.

Where is it that you wrote that you have already tried to share the internet connection via ICS? Show me where you wrote it or where you specified it, I can't find it written anywhere.

The very first post:

I'd like to share my laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to my PC.

Both laptop and PC are running Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ScottJB9276,

in that first post of yours you didn't clearly specify that you have configured ICS. You just generically wrote: "I tried to share the connection" and you posted a screenshot showing the configuration of a Network Bridge. The internet connection can be shared in different ways.

In any case, disable Network Bridge, enable ICS and post the screenshot of the Sharing tab.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 8,722 Applies to: