shaking a window closes all other windows. Annoying

Hey, when ever i am moving a window around and maybe I'm just messing about and i move the mouse fast (shake the window) all other windows current up will minimize. This is simply annoying. We already have a button on the bottom right and "windows + D" for this. is there a way to turn it off.

Thanks George

|
Answer
Answer

Hi George9012,

This is called Aero shake. In order to disable it you will need to edit the registry. Don't worry I'll explain this step-by-step. Here are the instructions:

Added by Moderator:

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. See How to back up the registry

1. Type regedit in the start menu search box. Right click and choose "run as administrator"

2. Navigate to:

Hkey_Current_User\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Create a new key Explorer under Windows key so that the new path would be:

Hkey_Current_User\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

*Note: Create the key by right clicking and selecting "New" and "key". Type in "Explorer".

4. Now Select "Explorer" key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD value

"NoWindowMinimizingShortcuts" and set its value to 1

*Note: Create the DWORD value by right clicking and selecting new and "DWORD (32 bit) value"

5. Restart or log off and back on to disable Aero shake

*Remember that regedit is case sensitive and be careful not to alter any other registry settings while in the registry.

Hope this helps,

Steve <> Microsoft Partner

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2021 Views 2,653 Applies to: