Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) causing excess 40% CPU usage (Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework)

Hey all, my CPU usage on a Surface Pro 3 i5/8/256 shot to 50% in the middle of watching a video.

I opened Task Manager and discovered "Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted)" was consuming 40% CPU at idle. The fan was going off non-stop and SP3 was getting extremely hot.

I manually stopped services one at a time until I found the two most likely culprits: "Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework", or "Windows Audio Endpoint builder". This happened immediately after waking the device from sleep. The CPU entered some sort of race condition and began to burn through the battery like mad until I rebooted the computer.

Does anyone have any similar behavior or thoughts as to what the problem is? Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2019 Views 1,402 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Cobalt,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I apologize for the delayed response.

I suggest you to check with our TechNet forum for better assistance of the issue.

Click on, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

If you have any further queries regarding Windows Operating systems, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.