September 2019 update with BSOD at reboot

I updated my windows to September 2019. Upon restart I got blue screen of death. The stop code is PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. This is the first time I have BSOD after so many windows updates.

I have to press the power button to force my computer to restart to let it do automatic repair. It removed the September update. Then I tried to perform windows update. I was able to install KB4516115 and KB4514359. My conclusion is KB4515384 caused the BSOD.

There was a similar article saying the problem of Intel wifi driver. I don't use wifi on my machine.

Does anyone have this problem?

The Minidump folder is at 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alu-l3tNoK7hhjiqj8DOPUbmGsrI?e=gilS61

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 1,090 Applies to:
Hi GumboYY

Th minidump files indicate ArcSec.sys as the root cause fo your system crashes . . .

Do you have any ArcSoft software installed on your PC, possible TotalMedia Theatre?

If so, uninstall that software to see if your system stabilizes, then if you want to continue using that software, check their website to see if there is an updated version of that to download and install . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I used to have TotalMedia but I have uninstalled long time ago. When I go to Apps & Features, I don't see any ArcSoft or TotalMedia. Can I just manually delete ArcSec.sys?

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GumboYY

That may still be running as a Startup process in Windows, see if you can find that and remove it . ..

Task Manager and indeed Msconfig offer only limited control over Startup items . . .

Click the link below to download a small free utility that does not require installation

When the file downloads, unzip it.

Depending on your system, run Autoruns or Autoruns64 as Administrator

With that utility, you can right click and delete any startup item in Windows

In the search box, search for the 3 items (ArcSoft or TotalMedia or ArcSec.sys) if you find ant reference to any of those, untick them

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/d...

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

DaveM121,

Following your instructions to delete ArcSec.sys. I have successfully installed KB4515384.

Thank you very much.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive had BSOD with many updates since 1903, the problem was indeed residue from Arcsoft - a driver that remained from an uninstall some time ago

I removed in regedit two keys ArcCtrl

reboot

Removed ArcCtrl.sys from driver folder 

reboot

I was then able to install all updates without BSOD 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same issue, however I have followed the steps above, but none of the three items you've suggested searching for exist on my PC...

I haven't tried to update anything manually, just following the Microsoft reminder to restart my PC to upgrade. This has now happened three times in a row, each time receiving the BSOD on restart.

Any further suggestions would be most appreciated

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same issue, however I have followed the steps above, but none of the three items you've suggested searching for exist on my PC...

I haven't tried to update anything manually, just following the Microsoft reminder to restart my PC to upgrade. This has now happened three times in a row, each time receiving the BSOD on restart.

Any further suggestions would be most appreciated

The first place to look is the registry, with regedit

I suggest searching for ArcCtrl - with luck you will find one or two keys with this name

Inside the key it might mention Arcsoft and should reference ArcCtrl.sys location in the drivers folder

N.B. Some people had ArcSec instead 

Remove the keys ArcCtrl

reboot

Remove ArcCtrl.sys from driver folder 

reboot

I was then able to install updates without BSOD

These solutions worked because we had previous installations of Arcsoft products like TotalMediaTheatre TMT which are incompatible with W10 but not 100% removed before.

If in fact you have a different problem then you can see in the thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solved-windows-update-kb4512941-not-installing/ea81711e-5883-4c88-aa41-cb3e87bd47c6 it is possible to examine the minidump file to determine which driver is crashing in your case

Before finding this solution I tried uninstalling all old software not needed, and disabling services from the startup configuration, but only removing ArcCtrl from registry solved it for me.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.