Selecting multiples files and/or a range of files in Widows 10 File Explorer stops working after a while

I am having similar problems with Windows 10 File Explorer, in that being able to select multiples files and/or a range of files "STOPS" working after doing it for a while. It seems to be occurring in the past year or so in Windows 10, but I never saw it in  Windows XP, 7 or 8. 

I have checked the File Explorer Options -> General tab -> and "Double Click to Open an Item" IS selected and  File Explorer Options -> View tab -> "Use Check Boxes to Select Items" IS un-selected when the problem occurs.

To explain a little further, I typically run 2-4 File Explorer windows at a time. I will have one File explorer open to C:\...  and  2-3 Files Explorers open (one each) to 2 or 3 external hard drives. I may be copying and/or moving files successfully for a while selecting "multiple files" and/or a "range of files" and then copying and/or moving files between drives.

After several successful copies/moves, it stops working and I can NO longer select multiple files or a range of files. NO error messages are displayed. I select the 1st file and then when I select a second file (Cntl-select) or the 2nd file in a range (Shift-select), the first file de-selects I end up with just a SINGLE file selected.

When  I check the File Explorer Options -> General tab -> and "Double Click to Open an Item" IS STILL selected and  File Explorer Options -> View tab -> "Use Check Boxes to Select Items" IS STILL un-selected.

If I then go to one of the other opened File Explorer windows, I can still select multiple files or a range of files and copy/move them (at least for a while until the problem re-occurs in the next File Explorer window).

However, if I close the File Explorer session (window) and re-open a new File Explorer window,  selecting multiple files and/or a range of files work again (for a while). This is OK for a temporary "work-around", but File Explorer needs to be fixed.

And obviously, if closing a single File Explorer and re-opening works to correct the multiple file issue, then re-starting the computer also works to correct the problem (for a while).

I have seen posts back to 2018 about this failure to select multiple files and/or a range of files and it is now 2021 and I am still having the failure.

Any plans to fix this issue? Or at least a "reasonable work-around" (not involving editing the Registry) until it is fixed?

Thank you.

|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you’re facing issues when selecting or arranging multiple files in File Explorer on your PC, and I certainly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

We will certainly look into this for you.

For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below:

1. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?
  2. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?

Refer the article Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1: Troubleshoot File Explorer

Try running the troubleshooter for File Explorer and see if that helps. Refer the article Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems

Method 2: Create a new user account

Test the issue on new user account and see if File Explorer is working fine. Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2021 Views 103 Applies to: