Security update 2019-03 Windows 7 causing Blue Screen

I have recently installed 3 important updates:

2019-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4489878)

2019-03 Security Update for Windows 7 for x64 based Systems (KB4474419)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - March 2019 (KB890830)

I have been consistently experience BSOD after installing these updates, however, it seems to occur mostly during watching online videos.

I have attached the DMP, Msinfo32, and Speccy files for reference.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuiPquAxB0uwaptNw18BOCeHglc

|

I started experiencing the same error and it took me a while to figure out it was related to the windows update. 

I restored to a restore point and the BSODs stopped for a while, but after installing 3 critical updates they started again. 

I returned to a restore point again and disabled the updates for the time being and everything seems stable. 

Incredibly frustrating Microsoft....this needs to be fixed.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not sure it was the updates that caused the BSOD for me. I opened up the DMP files using BlueScreen Viewer and it pointed out to files relating to my AMD graphics card. I ended up rolling back my video card drivers and that seemed to have fixed the problem for me...for now at least.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Security update KB4474419 (SHA-2 code signing support) appears to be the culprit.  It updates hundreds of system files, but for me the updated intelppm.sys (2/20/2019) is causing crash (BSOD) on boot! 

I am running Windows 7 SP1 x86 (32-bit) on an older Core2 Duo.

Anyway I have had to roll-back and "hide" previous Security updates due to similar problems.  I could get the system to run if I turned off my wifi adapter before it connected to the network and caused a hard reboot, so I thought it was a driver update and tried to roll-back.  But even Windows recovery (previous restore point) failed and I got into a state where I could only boot in SAFE MODE.  So I deleted the offending file (which is a crapshoot) to get the system to boot:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\intelppm.sys

Last time this happened it was many months (maybe 1-2 years) before an update roll-up came along that actually worked.

How can I get back the previous version of this driver file that worked?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2021 Views 2,559 Applies to: