Second monitor colour messing up

Hello

So since building my computer earlier I've used a Samsung TV as a second monitor so that I can use it for gaming or streaming Netflix and such. For months its worked with only a few issues here and there (such as my PC getting confused and getting stuck as to which was the primary monitor) until last week when I plugged in my HDMI cable as usual (the TV only has two ports so I have to keep switching them out for the PS4 and my Virgin TV box) and the picture that came up looked like this.

For reference my wallpaper is meant to be some mountains in Iceland, it now looks like anything but. At first I thought my cats had just chewed through the cable as they'd been playing behind there earlier and there a few bite marks but nothing too deep. So I just ordered a replacement and when it arrived and I plugged it in, the exact same thing happened. The only thing that seems to fix this issue is if I use a different TV (the only other one I have is ancient and covered in dust, so I'd rather not have to buy a new one) or if I change the monitor's resolution settings from the recommended (1366x768) to any other resolution. The colour comes back to normal but now the picture size is wrong and not as sharp. 

My friend suggested booting up the system and connecting to the TV in different combinations, none of which worked. He suggested buying a HDMI adapter of sorts but I don't think my TV has a slot for one. My graphics drivers are 100% up to date. My PS4 and my Virgin TV box do not have this issue using the same ports. I've tried seeing if I can update the software on my TV but either I can't or it thinks its up to date. The only new thing I've noticed after doing some digging in my settings is this list of events in the properties for the TV:

I can't remember with certainty but the "Device migrated" and all the othe nonsense I'm fairly sure happened around the same time I first had the problem. Coincidence?

What do people think? Is this a problem with the TV or the PC? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Apart from buying a new TV or just putting up with a dodgy resolution.

My PC specs: 
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz

RAM: 16.0gb

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Device Migrated simply means that the device driver was installed correctly

So it looks like your Graphics driver was updated on the 7th of the 11th

I would try rolling back the latest update on your Graphics card and see if that resolves this issue . . .

I have seen this sort of problem in the last few weeks, so probably Windows Update has pushed a driver that is incompatible with your system . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think it is a hardware problem.

Since Dave has already picked the low hanging fruit, update drivers (and un-update), I'll tackle another option.

The latest Major update, the Fall Creators Update, has caused problems. For some people the update "improved" the "color profile" used by Windows to customize the image signal sent to the monitor. Take a look at this article to see if it helps your problem:
2017 FCU – COLOR PROFILE – MONITOR COLORS WRONG AFTER UPDATE
http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10...
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok so it wouldn't let me roll back to the previous drivers (maybe they were automatically deleted when I last updated) so I had to uninstall and reinstall. It didn't work, still have the same issue. I used the instructions here: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/driver_rollback.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had a look into this but honestly I don't fully understand what I'm doing. I get into the colour profile thing and try messing around with some of the settings but nothing seems to change. I could be doing it wrong of course.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is not much to mess up.

You go into the color management dialog as described in the link, make sure you monitor is selected in the device drop down and add or remove color profiles for it. Try going to the monitor maker web site to see if they have a default profile you can download and install.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2023 Views 1,366 Applies to: