SearchHost.exe keeps crashing

Yesterday I noticed that my windows 11 search wasn't working.

Click on Windows Start -> start typing (nothing was being typed and the window even froze for 10-20s).

The same happens if I click on the "Type here to search". The windows freezes for a moment then it all crashes.

After a bit more investigation I realised there were more functionalities that aren't working.

right-clicking on any windows tool (cmd, event viewer, etc.) causes the windows explorer to freeze.

However I can open event viewer (left click :))

By observing Event Viewer (Application logs)

I noticed that every time my search/window crashes the below error appears:

```

Faulting application name: SearchHost.exe, version: 421.22500.6095.0, time stamp: 0x6356ff1d

Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.22000.1165, time stamp: 0x233f10b4

Exception code: 0xc0000602

Fault offset: 0x0000000000221c9f

Faulting process ID: 0x5048

Faulting application start time: 0x01d9268d3daf2401

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchHost.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll

Report ID: 92bcbe04-8113-4ff8-ae70-358920c8e526

Faulting package full name: MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_1000.22000.1455.0_x64__cw5n1h2txyewy

Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

```

I already tried nearly everything:

To help understand the situation a even more here are some other facts about my machine:

• I have Avast antivirus installed (but I installed it after the issue happened)

• Before the issue started I did install a Game from Steam which automatically installed Ubisoft, uplay and some .NET driver

• I created another local user which doesn't have this issue (so that is a small temporary win) - but I don't want to move to a new user where the same might happen later

My hardware:

Processor (CPU)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard

GIGABYTE X570S AORUS ELITE AX : ATX (USB 3.2 Gen 1, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!

Memory (RAM)

32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card

6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!

Storage Drive

512GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)

Hopefully someone can help me understand the error message I posted and has a solution to fix it.
Maybe .dll reinstall or something similar.

I found all potential solutions from many similar problems (though none exactly the same error) on the web:

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard a Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I understand the issue you have, there is nothing to worry I am here to help since you have done all the basic troubleshooting steps, I suggest doing an in-place upgrade wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

Kindly follow the steps from this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Let me know how it goes and I hope that helps.

Bernard

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Bernard,

After spending the whole day on this issue I still can't believe it but your advice worked!
Thanks soo much.

A quick note though:

- I had to turn on secure boot and since I have a gigabyte motherboard this video was helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwaIWu_41_0&t=389s

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, thank you for replying and I am glad it is now working fine, I appreciate your cooperation.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2024 Views 2,712 Applies to: