Screen flashing occasionally; What is it?

Since upgrading to Windows 10 (which installation was smooth and uneventful), there has been, and still occurs, the occasional, very quick screen flashes. It is intermittent and inconsistent re when it happens.

I have chosen to personalize my Desktop to my own Theme, which is a Taupe-coloured screen for when I am not using any apps.

I have also chosen to change the Settings for Text Size for Menu Names, browser address bar text, Tooltips, and for Icons that appear on my desktop, eg Recycle Bin and my own letterhead document icon. The icons on my Taskbar are still the standard size. And, for instance, inputting text into this post editor is slightly larger than it would be normally (now size 11 points), which all means things are a lot easier to read. I wear spectacles and have cataracts forming in one eye, hence trying to ease my reading on the PC and reduce the amount of light emitting from the screen when in an idle state. The screensaver is de-activated.

However, the screen flashing happened even before I changed these settings.

The Lock screen is standard Windows 10 theme.

Any clear-cut advice as to what this could be would be appreciated, as well as any instruction on how to fix this. Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issue with flashing screen We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I suggest you to uninstall the graphics card driver and install the latest driver from the manufacturer website and check if it resolves the issue. 

Step 1: Uninstall the Device Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo + X” keys on the keyboard.

• Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

• Search for the Graphics Card device from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, please open the Device Manager again and then click on the “Scan for hardware changes” button. Check if Windows 8.1 detects the Graphics Card device and installs an appropriate driver automatically.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the Computer Manufacturer’s website and search for the Windows 8.1 compatible drivers for the graphics card and install it successfully on the computer.

Install and Update the drivers in Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you. 

Rakesh C N

Microsoft Community.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your prompt response. Since posting, I've submitted a support request with my PC manufacturer giving more complete details of what I've found. I will wait for their response before getting back to you re any outcome.
Win10 64-bit on HP 14in Notebook Edge Lr Lumia950 Samsung Galaxy TabA using Microsoft Launcher

Sorry this didn't help.

I have dug a little deeper into the system and done some checks. Including searching online for any hardware changes and driver software changes -- resulting in 'device is working properly' and is 'up-to-date'. This related to all relevant devices drivers to do with the graphics card and USB.

There is also a memory conflict between the graphics card and the USB port connection used on my PC for my wireless broadband connection to the internet (the only left-hand-side USB port on my PC).

I have also found out that my RAM is not functioning properly, being only half available from the full 2Gb modules!  I'm surprised my machine has been functioning reasonably okay! The PC manufacturer recommends I go to my local ASUS repair centre to have it attended to. I will do that.

I do have a question 'though. Why would you recommend Step 2 to search for Windows 8.1 drivers, when my previous OS was Win7Starter, as noted in my community signature below?

Win10 64-bit on HP 14in Notebook Edge Lr Lumia950 Samsung Galaxy TabA using Microsoft Launcher

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your prompt response. Since posting, I've submitted a support request with my PC manufacturer giving more complete details of what I've found. I will wait for their response before getting back to you re any outcome.

Rakesh:

There is no Dedicated Video Memory allocation for the graphics card, nor can I change that in the dialog box. There is no driver/graphcis card update available for that model on the ASUS website. The ASUS people, in fact, recommend I rollback to Windows 7 -- too late now! Of course, I could reinstall the Win7 OS and may yet do that.

However, in the meantime, I have been looking at ways to claw back some RAM memory speed from apps and services, and have turned off most Win10 new apps and also disabled quite a few services.

There is another option to gain more RAM memory speed and that is to install more RAM, perhaps another 2Gb. I am investigating this side of things, as a way around not having dedicated video memory. I can live with the occasional screen flashing, as it is only infrequent.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 11, 2020 Views 3,186 Applies to: