Scheduled chkdsk doesn't run on startup for Windows 7 64-bit

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on my laptop. I seem to have a corrupted Documents folder, but when I schedule chkdsk to run on restart, nothing happens. It never runs, and Windows starts as usual. When Windows starts, I get a "Windows Explorer has stopped working" message, and it restarts. Windows Explorer crashes every time I make a file change, e.g. delete a file or change a file's name. The changes are made and Explorer crashes. If I try to delete more than one file, the first file is deleted, but Explorer crashes before the second file is deleted. Any ideas as to how I can solve this?...how to get chkdsk to run?

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2018 Views 6,533 Applies to:

Hi Chemistry Guy,
Method 1
I would suggest you to boot the computer in safe mode and see if windows explorer is working fine.
Start your computer in safe mode
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Method 2

If the above steps fail, I would suggest you to perform clean boot and see if some third party program is causing the issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting the issue make sure that you set the computer back to normal startup mode.

a. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

c. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Method 3
I would suggest you to run the hotfix from the following link and see if that helps.

The Chkdsk.exe program does not start correctly on a Windows 7-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975778

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the help, but I tried all three suggestions with no luck. I had already tried Method 3, and it worked the first time. I was able to get chkdsk to work once. I now have at least one folder that is corrupted, so I want to run it again. Because I have already run the hotfix, it won't run again.

I have one other symptom...While trying to do a backup, I got an error message saying, ...Volume Shadow Service not working correctly.

Are these symptoms of hard disk failure? How do I know if my hard disk is dying?

thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I have the same problem since a very long time. It's been days I'm working on it, to no avail. I have found a lot of info and forum threads on the web about this problem, and I think I tried ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! Autochk never runs before Windows' startup whatever I try!

What freaks me up is that the Events viewer doesn't report any chkdsk done since Windows was intsalled!

So does anyone have an idea of what should I do before reinstalling Windows?? :(

Some info about my system :

- Dell Vostro 1720
- drives : Sata
- CD/DVD drive : Internal bluray drive
- Windows 7 64 SP1, installed in 2010 or 2011. I have a genuine Win 7 CD then Windows update upgraded to SP1
- Current antivirus and anti malware situation: Only Microsoft Security Essentials
- I have manually set the dirty bit with the command fsutil dirty set C: I have heard the only way to remove the dirty bit is to run a chkdsk. But wether the drive is dirty or not, Autochk should run before windows startup.

Gren

Sorry this didn't help.

Why is this thread marked as "answered" although the "solution" post has been replied with "I tried what you said and it didn't work"?

I have noticed that many other times on these Microsoft boards: thread marked as answered although they don't give any good solution.

Sorry this didn't help.