Scannow and DISM healthcheck do not work

Hello

Earlier today, I tried to open Discord, and it didn't work. I checked Task Manager, and it showed there were no Discord processes running.

After restarting my PC, Discord would still not open, so I tried reinstalling.

Reinstalling led to me discovering an error

"Installation Has Failed

There was an error while installing the application. Check the setup log for more information and contact the author."

Checking the setup log shows "First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch" and then a log of trying to install the files, before the log cuts off in the middle of installing the files. After following Discords instructions (deleting Discord from %appdata% and %localappdata%) and reinstalling still not working, I decided to run sfc /scannow.

sfc /scannow says that there were corrupt files found but they were unable to be fixed. I checked the CBS log and it says that 3 .dll files are missing, and the files could not be reprojected because the source file in store is also corrupted.

I ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, and it got to 90% before stating:

"Error: 605

The specified buffer contains ill-formed data."

Checking the DISM logs showed that DISM failed finalizing changes, processing package changes, to restore the image health, while processing command cleanup-image, and DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed.

I've tried a clean boot, which has not worked. I tried to download an ISO, but when I did, it said that I needed 8GB of free space, and all 3 of the drives I have are able to use 8GB of space. What do I do?

I'm at my wits end here, and I would really appreciate some help!

Hi Adyn,
My name is Igor, it's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.

Did I understood you correctly, any of your disk does not have 8 GB? can you free some space? How many free space is on disk C: ?
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Two of my disks do have 8GB of free space available, however my C: disk no longer does, with 7GB left. I'm currently trying to delete temporary files, but when I try to, either A) The scan never works, or B) the files never get deleted. Every time I close and reopen my settings app, it says that this app can't run on my PC. I don't know what app can't run, because settings still runs. I'll be able to fix the issue with storage on my C: disk soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have fixed the issue with space on my disk.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So can you create an installation media or download ISO?
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I can, I will be doing that now. Please leave instructions for once the download is finished, specifically for installation media because I can not burn an ISO onto a DVD since I have no DVD port on my PC.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please use Media Creation tool to create USB installation media or download ISO file.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've created a USB installation media, but whenever I try to boot it, there's no option to repair my PC. When I restarted and opened BIOS, there was no option to boot into the drive. I decided as a last resort to A) use the BIOS system repair, and B) do a full system reset. Neither worked.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do not boot from this media, boot normally and run setup.exe file from this media.
------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran setup.exe and I got the message "Setup has failed to validate the product key". Do I have to have a Windows key in order to do this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You need to have a license and the key from this license.
------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2024 Views 76 Applies to: