Save As file name now opens a folder containing part of the file name instead of saving.

Hello all, as of today I am now having a frustrating problem with Windows 10 when attempting to save a file with Save As.

If the name I type for the file to be saved is the same as, or the same as part of a folders name, clicking save now opens that folder instead of saving the file in the location already selected. This is really really annoying. How do I get save as to save when clicking save, no matter what the file name is?

To better describe the problem I have added screen shots below.

I want to save a photo to my desktop, I have selected Save As and typed in the filename I want to name the photo: Van. 

There is already a folder on my desktop named Van Lock. When I click the save button, instead of saving the photo on the desktop, it opens the folder named Van Lock:

This problem appears to only be affecting Windows programs, other programs save properly. This problem is on my Windows 10 desktop computer, but not on my Windows 10 Laptop. I have tried to search for solutions to this issue but no one seems to have posted the problem before, any help is greatly received!

Matt

This seems to be part of a W10 update, as now my laptop has the same problem. I wish you could just remove problem updates, but as each update is so many parts in one now this isn't really practical.  This seems to be due to kb4552152 as this is the only recent update. My PC started getting BSODs after the update, now my laptop is also the same after the update installed there today.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 1,071 Applies to: