runtime error 217

Hi:

I ran into a problem when I did a restore which had taken a very long time.  First of all I got a runtime error 217 at 00420336 and also another type of error C:\PROGRAM FILES (X 86)\Glary Utilities 3\languages\english.ing.  I was able to determine the Glary utility error.  When I tried to uninstall Glary, it says no file exists.  I figure I would redownload it and do a complete uninstall using a different uninstaller where you can force delete any leftovers.  I deleted it and rebooted.  That error with Glary was fixed.  I still get the other runtime error 217 at the same location.   Do you have any ideas to solve it.  Thank you very much for your help.

Mel

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2019 Views 2,827 Applies to:

Hi Mel,

Do you get this error in the startup or when you open a specific program?

What is the exact run time error that you get?

A runtime error is a software or hardware problem that prevents a program from working correctly. Runtime errors can occur if you are running two software programs that are not compatible, if your computer has memory problems, or if the computer has been infected with malicious software. I would suggest you to try the following steps and check:

Method 1: Security scan

First. I would suggest you to run a complete security scan to make sure that issue is not caused due to some malicious software. Make sure that the antivirus software is updated with the recent virus signatures before you run a security scan.

You can also download and run the Microsoft Security Scanner from here:

http://safety.live.com

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection. Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2:

If you still get this error message, I would suggest you to boot the computer in safe mode to check if the issue is caused due to a software conflict. Refer to this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

If you don’t face this issue in safe mode, then I would suggest you to perform a clean boot procedure to check which program is conflicting and troubleshoot it. Refer to this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer to the step How to set the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting under more information.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to check the event viewer to find out more information about this error. Refer to these steps:

a)      Go to the Start Screen, type in Event Viewer. This will bring up the Event Viewer tile, Click to open the event viewer.

b)      In the left pane, expand out Windows Logs. Click on Application log and highlight the first event in the log and use your arrow keys to scroll down.

c)       Most of your event will be Information. You may see Yellow Warnings or Red Errors. If you see any red error, you can double click on it to bring it up and copy the contents in your reply.

Try these steps and let us know the results. We’d be happy to help if you need any further assistance.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.