Roaming aggressiveness doesn't change anything

Hello.

I'm having trouble with my wifi signal when roaming between range extenders.  I have one main router and 3 range exenders; let's call them extender A, extender B, and extender C.  The router feeds both extender A and B, and extender A feeds extender C.  

When I startup, it seems my laptop will connect to whichever signal it finds first - not necessarily the strongest signal.  When I move between them, it stubbornly refuses 

I can be half way between extender A and C, picking up (for example) a 90% signal from extender A, a 90% signal from extender C, and a 5% signal from the main router, but it will not change to either A or C - it stays with the main router.  This continues even as the router signal goes down to 0%; only then will it change.  But if the router signal goes back up to 1%, the wifi will return to the router connection, depsite getting a 100% signal from extender C.  It will then switch back and forth as the router signal fades in and out.  It's the same problem between all the different extenders.  It is always trying to reconnect to the original signal, even if there are 2 or 3 other stronger signals on the same network.  

My understanding is that this is what the roaming aggressiveness setting is supposed to solve.  It does not.  I already have my roaming aggressiveness set to 5 (highest).  

And to answer what will probably be the first question - I am sure that extender A is always getting a strong enough signal from the main router, and that extender C is getting a strong enough signal from extender A.  Extender B might sometimes get a signal weaker than 30% from the main router, but it is always getting something, and anyway when it is receiving a strong signal I still get the problem described above.    

I'm using Windows 10, version 1803, OS build 17134.556.

Any ideas?  

Hello _gjg,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Roaming aggressiveness is the rate at which your device selects and switches to the nearest available point of access, offering a better signal. The Sensitivity depends on the signal strength and quality, not on the distance to the Wi-Fi point.

In this scenario, you might want to reset roaming aggressiveness to check if it works out for you. To do reset, you will have to run a PowerShell command.  

To check the existing value of Roaming Aggressiveness run the below command from an Administrative PowerShell Command prompt.

• Right click on the Start menu and select Windows PowerShell (Admin) and type the command as : Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty –Name “Wi-Fi”

• Make sure to change the Wi-Fi string to what your adapter is called.

To set Roaming Aggressiveness, execute the following commands from Administrative PowerShell Commands.

• Set-NetAdapteradvancedProperty -Name “Wi-Fi” -DisplayName “Roaming Aggressiveness” –DisplayValue “1. Lowest”

• Set-NetAdapteradvancedProperty -Name “Wi-Fi” -DisplayName “Roaming Aggressiveness” –DisplayValue “5. Highest”

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried this the power shell command: Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty –Name “Costanza”   (the SSID of my network is Costanza) and it returns an error message.  I also tried it without the quotation marks and got the same error message.  If the "Wi-Fi" in your instruction is not the network SSID, then what is it?  And how do I find it out?  

The error message I get is as follows:

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty : No MSFT_NetAdapterAdvancedPropertySettingData objects found with property 'Name'

equal to 'Costanza'.  Verify the value of the property and retry.

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty –Name “Costanza"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Costanza:String) [Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty], CimJobException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletizationQuery_NotFound_Name,Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the following questions.

1. What is the make and model of the range extenders and adapters that you use?

2. What is the make and model of the computer?

3. Which version of Windows have you installed on your PC? E.g. Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro.

4. Is your PC connected on a Domain network or Public Wi-Fi network?

I would suggest you to kindly check with the following methods and see if it works.

Method 1: Run Network adapter troubleshooter.

As you are facing issues connecting to a network, I would suggest you to run the network adapter troubleshooter and to update the network adapters. Follow the article to run network adapter troubleshooter.

• Go to search window and select Control panel.
  • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click Troubleshooting.
  • Under Network and Internet.
  • Click on Network adaptor and Click on Next button.

Method 2: Update Wi-Fi Adapters.

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager and click on it.
  • Expand Network adapters, and locate the network adapter for your device.
  • Right click on each driver and select Update driver.

Additionally, you may also refer to an article on Update drivers in Windows 10. 

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The computer is an Asus UX501VW, running WIndows 10 Home.  I'm connected to a private home network.  

The main router is: Technicolour TG588v

Range extender A: TP-Link RE450

Range extender B: Linksys RE4000W

Range extender C: Netgear WN3000RP 

Range extender A feeds both B and C.  Range extender C has a different SSID (it's for a rented unit) so I do not use much.  The main problem is between the router, extender A and extender B.  

I tried both methods 1 and 2 in your post.  The troubleshooter found nothing and the drivers are up to date.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delay in response.

I would recommend you to post your query on TechNet forum where we have a team of experts who are better aligned to resolve the issue on this subject.

Mala S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 4,176 Applies to: