Retaining the original "Date Modified" of folders transferred from one computer to the other

CONTEXT:  I sat down today to transfer the folders from my old Microsoft Surface Book 1 computer to my new Microsoft Surface Book 3 computer.  During the last four years I built up a director of over 900 folders.  I now want to transport the folders from my old computer to my new computer.  

In the first step, I moved all of the folders from my old computer on to a thumb drive plugged into the old computer's USB slot.  I was delighted that the identity of the folder as observed in the transfer thumb drive -- when observed in "Details" mode -- was the same as what it had been on the old computer.  That includes the "Date Modified" column.  The "Date Modified" column helps me understand what folders I have been rummaging around in lately, so I was happy to see that the intermediate transport thumb drive retained that information for "Date Modified" after I moved the folders from the old laptop to the thumb drive.  Everything is fine so far.

However, when I moved the folders from the Thumb Drive to the NEW laptop computer, then the "Date Modified" date was changed to reflect today's date . . . namely the time and date that I moved the files from my thumb drive to the New lap top Document Folder.  This is not my hoped-for outcome, because the "Date Modified" is important to me, since it signifies files that have been recently accessed according to the last date or time I modified or added a file into those folders.

QUESTION:  How can I move folders from an old computer to a new computer so that I retain the same "Date Modified" identity that existing for each of the folders before I made the transfer of folders from old to new computer?

How can I move folders from an old computer to a new computer so that I retain the same "Date Modified"?

Try this:

1. Create a desktop shortcut for cmd.exe.
  2. Double-click this shortcut. You will get a black frame.
  3. Type this command and press Enter:
    robocopy  "H:\FolderName"  "C:\Users\David\FolderName"  /e  /w:1  /r:1

Make sure to insert the correct drive letters and folder names. If the target folders already exist, delete them.

Please remember to mark my reply by clicking "Did this solve your problem?". It's your way of saying "Thank you".

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi @DavidAnhalt1, how are You?!

I am Jediael, an Independent Advisor. I'll be happy to assist You today.

I appreciate the contact!!!

Please check this post that will guide you:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/best-way...

Standard / Important Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

If you think this was helpful, feel free to "mark as an answer" to help those who are experiencing the same problem.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2024 Views 2,541 Applies to: