Restore Point list won't "clear"

I've tried everything I can think of to clear the Restore Point list

* Used disk clean-up to delete all but the most recent restore point

* Turned OFF system Restore on ALL drives

Here's what STILL shows up on my Windows 7 Professional system

:

I've searched the Registry also for "Restore Point" and nothing. I can't figure out where Windows is keeping this list of Restore Points. I'm pretty sure the Restore Points don't really exist but I'd sure like to see the list reflect that.

The list probably refers to data backups.

System Restore data is kept in this protected folder: C:\System Volume Information. Backup catalogs are also kept there.

Do you actually have a problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No, I'm not having a problem other than I'm writing a "Maintaining your Computer" workshop, and the first item we're going to cover is System Restore Points. I'll be telling them about  the 2 ways they can delete System Restore Points (Disk Cleanup and the Delete button in System Restore). Unfortunately, it appears that, even if they use either of those methods, the log of the System Restore Points is still going to be there. I guess I'm just going to tell them that it's a "bug" that Microsoft hasn't fixed.

Tom

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get the impression that each of these entries was created when you created an image of the System drive. These images are kept in a folder like this one:

E:\WindowsImageBackup\MyPC\Backup 2014-05-24 172446

In other words, they are not automatic restore points created automatically by the System Restore mechanism.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I understand you correctly, instead of being a log of System Restore Points these entries are logs of when I create a System Image. That is the way I back up the system about every 3 months. That makes more sense. I only keep the latest 3 System Image backups but I guess the log has no way of knowing that I've deleted the older images. Thanks, I can explain that to my students because that's the last thing we're going to do in the workshop (Create a System Image).

Tom

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I only keep the latest 3 System Image backups but I guess the log has no way of knowing that I've deleted the older images.

It seems you are deleting the old images manually which is why they are still visible in the catalog. The correct way would be via the button "Manage Space" in the Backup and Restore panel.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, previously, I've been just deleting the oldest entry in the WindowsImageBackup folder on each of my 3 backup partitions. I wasn't even aware of the Manage Space option which I'll use for future maintenance. Now the question is: Is there a way to clear out those old entries? I don't mind them so much here at home but this is the way we've been deleting the oldest WindowsImageBackup for 15 systems in our Computer Lab at the Senior Center. I'd like to clean out all of those old entries also. Is it possible?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now the question is: Is there a way to clear out those old entries?

Maybe clicking Manage Space will delete non only the non-existent image files but also the catalog entries. I would also try deleting all images.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, I already tried that.  I was hoping that maybe you knew where those catalog entries were kept. I wasn't able to find any in the Registry.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, I already tried that.  I was hoping that maybe you knew where those catalog entries were kept. I wasn't able to find any in the Registry.

The catalogs are kept both on the drive where your images are stored and in the folder C:\System Volume Information for which you have alter the permissions to gain access.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I see there's also a System Volume Information folder on the BACKUP drive as well as the C: drive. The easiest way to get inside the System Volume Information folder appears to be booting the system in SAFE mode. I'll try that first and if that doesn't work I'll use some of the other suggestions I've found on the internet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2023 Views 170 Applies to: