Restarting Windows 10, error message "exception breakpoint has been reached"

I haven't seen this error message before. I'm using Firefox 43.0.4, which was closed when I restarted, as were all programs.

I have an HP Pavilion 500-320 desktop. Two days ago, I updated all drivers manually in the Device Manager, because my HP Assistant didn't do it automatically and apparently the Windows update didn't either. I checked and found that the Windows update had reset itself from auto, and I changed it back and checked for updates, so I am current. Afterwards, the HP Assistant performed a successful update and is working again. I had an unsuccessful automatic Java update, so I went to the Oracle site and found that I had two updates that were outdated and Oracle removed them. I then downloaded the Java update and it installed successfully.

Before restarting Windows 10 today, I closed all programs and then selected and clicked restart. That's when I saw, for the first time, the error message "the exception breakpoint has been reached." There were numbers following, but I didn't catch them in time, as the computer restarted quickly with no problems.

In researching this issue, I saw that someone suggested that browser addons could be at fault. The addons I have are Pinterest button, uBlock Origin and LastPass.

Is this something I should be concerned about? What action(s) should I take?

Thanks for your assistance!

Marian

Hi! MW

Thanks for posting the interesting issue on the Microsoft forum. First is the PC running okay? Did it shutdown and restart? Would you go into settings app > System > about and post your Edition , Version, and Build. There is also in the update section "view update history". It will tell failed updates and complete.

There has been a large Windows 10 version (build) update that may be the issue.

Hi!
A Microsoft support engineer will be with you shortly. Stay online your next.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi! MW

Thanks for posting the interesting issue on the Microsoft forum. First is the PC running okay? Did it shutdown and restart? Would you go into settings app > System > about and post your Edition , Version, and Build. There is also in the update section "view update history". It will tell failed updates and complete.

There has been a large Windows 10 version (build) update that may be the issue.

Thanks for helping. Yes, the PC is running fine.

Here's the info you requested:

Edition: Windows 10 Home Version

Version: 1511

OS Build: 10586.63

I looked at the update history and all were successfully installed. I then checked for updates and found one more, which was successfully installed: Microsoft C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package KB3119142

BTW, how do you set updates so that you can see ones that MS considers optional? There used to be a setting for that, but I don't see it now.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Marian

Marian Cates
W 10

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BTW, how do you set updates so that you can see ones that MS considers optional? There used to be a setting for that, but I don't see it now.

Hi! (Getting Things Ready For You)

Bad news on that subject. W10 is auto update only. You can opt-out of updates for Microsoft products but that's it. W10 Home edition has no way to defer upgrades. That can be a very bad! The upgrades don't come out that often but when they do... Suggest using one drive or backups of you personal files/folders.

I could go on and on about MS new update procedure but not going to. It does not seem that the error had long term effects, if you have issues you think refer to your error post back.

Hi!
A Microsoft support engineer will be with you shortly. Stay online your next.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi! (Getting Things Ready For You)

Bad news on that subject. W10 is auto update only. You can opt-out of updates for Microsoft products but that's it. W10 Home edition has no way to defer upgrades. That can be a very bad! The upgrades don't come out that often but when they do... Suggest using one drive or backups of you personal files/folders.

I could go on and on about MS new update procedure but not going to. It does not seem that the error had long term effects, if you have issues you think refer to your error post back.

Thanks, Terrible Teddy--

I back up my documents and pictures on an external hard drive and set up auto backups on another external hard drive. So I think I've got that covered.

The computer is functioning well, so I won't worry about the error message until there's an issue to deal with. Again, thanks so much for your support!

Marian

Marian Cates
W 10

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just out of curiosity, are you using any third-party screensavers on your machine?  I actually came across your post whilst searching for help with the same error.  If you are using any third-party screensaver(s), try uninstalling them, and see what happens.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  It would seem that Windows 10 (post Anniversary Update) has issues with screensavers Microsoft didn't make.  For example, I have the Really Slick Screensavers collection installed, which, up until the past couple of days, has worked flawlessly with Windows 10.  Now, the screensavers don't want to start, and all of a sudden, I start getting this Exception breakpoint error.  So, I put two and two together; the screensavers have to go.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't use a screensaver. However, I used to use, instead of a Windows photo, a painting I did of a place I used to live. I wonder if that had an effect. I now use a Windows theme. Thanks for your reply, Stephen.

Still no repetition of the error message.

Marian

Marian Cates
W 10

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. It has been displaying the error message since the upgrade. I am operating on a Lenovo thinkpad and using Chrome.

Please advise how to correct

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue since a week or so. I have an Asus N series.

Is there any solution?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem with several computers. I find if I am signed in to Origin this does not happen. Only when I am not signed in does this happen on all my computers. I use several computers so I can't be signed into Origin on all of them at the same time. This has caused no harm it only comes up on restart or shut down.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2024 Views 29,925 Applies to: