Restart messages

I am being plagued with Restart messages to finish installing important updates.  These messages come in three formats:

1. Restart your computer to finish installing important updates - Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them. Make sure to save your files before restarting. - Remind me in: 10 minutes --> 4 hours - Restart now - Postpone.  See upload 1. This message first appears soon after startup and then depending on the time interval selected.
  2. Restart your computer to install important updates - Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them.  Save any open files and restart the computer, and then try to check for new updates - Restart now.  See upload 2.  This message appears in the Windows Update window accessed via the Control Panel
  3. Restart your computer to finish installing important updates - Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them. Make sure to save your files before restarting.  Restarting in 15 min --> zero  - Remind me in "blacked out" - Restart now.  See upload 3.  This message appears immediately at the scheduled Windows Update time, and restarts the computer when the 15 minutes expires

No amount of restarting results in these messages being cleared or reset.  Please advise how I may reset this.

I am using Windows 7 Professional

Hi David,

Windows could be set to restart automatically reason why restart message keeps on appearing on your computer. To resolve the issue, we suggest that you follow a helpful solution from this link: How to resolve automatic restarts problem when Windows 7 experiences an error (Easy Fix Article - Written by MVP)

Update us with the result.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do they also come, even if you restarts it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jenicel

I have followed the procedure in the Easy Fix Article.  The problem continues just as before.

As I understand the Article, it presumes that the Restart messages follow some sort of unexpected shutdown or crash.  This is not the case.

The messages have become part of my everyday experience.  It does not matter how many times I restart my computer or when, the messages continue/remain.

I can't help thinking that there must some sort of flag, perhaps in the Registry, which is not being reset.  I do hope you can help me resolve this problem.

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, they do Micael --- David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Although I've seen various attempts to fix this problem, they don't all work for all situations.

I suggest that you ask for help in a forum that specializes in this sort of issue:  https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/

Please read and follow the "Posting Instructions" (sticky thread at top of forum).

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 21, 2022 Views 2,341 Applies to: